What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

1 hour ago, johnpendell said:

I don't mind dissonance, in fact I love it, but I'm getting tired of the tri-tone chords usually done by mellos then they resolve. Vanguard 2016 did it like every five seconds it actually kinda made me annoyed overall with their show, but basically every corps does it. Also not really show related and I feel I'm the o my one who feels this way but I hate the announcers voice at finals. He sounds like he's yelling while gurgling water and it kills the vibe of every show and makes it sound like a MMA fights about to happen instead of a drum corps show. 

Wow, I'm feeling old now!

OK, so That Guy, Mr. Crocker is the only announcer that DCI has ever officially had.  He's an institution.  As the activity has become artsy, Brandt hasn't.  He still announces like it it is a cross town rivalry grudge match.  Many here get P.O.'d at the way he intro's "Phaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantommmmmmmm Rrrrrrrrrrrrregiment" with the flem gurgling in his throat, but I love it.  Ya' know why?

Because he intro'd them that way in 2008 when he was as, or more, excited than the fans.   Now, when I hear it, I'm taken back to that night, in that stadium, watching that corps.

And I get goose bumps.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, garfield said:

OK, so That Guy, Mr. Crocker is the only announcer that DCI has ever officially had.  He's an institution.  As the activity has become artsy, Brandt hasn't.  He still announces like it it is a cross town rivalry grudge match.  Many here get P.O.'d at the way he intro's "Phaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantommmmmmmm Rrrrrrrrrrrrregiment" with the flem gurgling in his throat, but I love it.  Ya' know why?

Because he intro'd them that way in 2008 when he was as, or more, excited than the fans.   Now, when I hear it, I'm taken back to that night, in that stadium, watching that corps.

And I get goose bumps.

I'm with Garfield on this.

I've been announcing DCA's championship since 1983, along with a variety of DCA, DCI, and band shows (well... no more band shows that involve airgrams...LOL) ... and the day I lose the enthusiasm level is the day I'll step aside. If I'm not "stepped aside" first.  :tongue:

And I will never, ever speak ill of a follow announcer.  Honestly, it's a tougher job than it seems.

Edited by Fran Haring

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Several posters have touched on this subject here... where does this stuff come from? 

I went to a WGI regional show a couple of years ago. (Disclaimer: I don't get to a lot of guard shows. Like maybe two a decade. LOL.) Had fun, caught up with some old friends, got to see a number of great guards, etc... but every guard followed the same format.  A "solo dancer or solo equipment handler" segment to open the show... then the rest of the guard joining in for the body of the show... then a "down ending."  Every single guard did this.

At intermission I asked a friend who's been involved with guard for decades... as a judge, designer, and performer... if this was some sort of mandated format.  He smiled and said, no... what was going on was just the latest trend. Or "fad" as he put it.

Who starts these #### trends??? :tongue:

Lynn Lindstrom, once of DATR, Memphis Blues, and back then CEO of WGI, herself decried what she called "the cookie cutter trend of guard shows today."  This was after timing minimums and penalties were applied to dance, equipment work, and movement. She resigned shortly after and passed only last year. Her wisdom is still true.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, xandandl said:

Lynn Lindstrom, once of DATR, Memphis Blues, and then CEO of WGI, herself decried what she called "the cookie cutter trend of guard shows today."  This was after timing minimums and penalties were applied to dance, equipment work, and movement. She resigned shortly after and passed only last year. Her wisdom is still true.

Wisdom , very true. resigned? well ok some can call it that. A great and very fair lady for sure. Encouraging to all, especially those young guards moving  up.jmo

38 minutes ago, garfield said:

And I get goose bumps.

I figured someone was going to reply this to me LOL.  Yeah, he definitely is a legend. I contradict myself by saying it but it would be strange if he wasn't announcing! It just always is weird for me hearing "presenting their 2016 program, confusing existentialism, THE AHAHAKAFZJAVZJAHAUA" then it turns into some serious deep show. No offense to Mr. Crocker, there's a reason he's had that role for a while. Just my two cents :o)

2 hours ago, johnpendell said:

Also not really show related and I feel I'm the o my one who feels this way but I hate the announcers voice at finals. He sounds like he's yelling while gurgling water and it kills the vibe of every show and makes it sound like a MMA fights about to happen instead of a drum corps show. 

I sort of understand what you mean. But i like the announcer a lot. It's part down home Midwest, part lame, sure, but also partly honoring the tradition and culture of the corps and partly providing some intimacy to the experience. For me, anyway. The ad lib on The Academy last year was great. Made me recognize a bigger, shared experience was unfolding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luv4corps said:

The beat bouncing, grinning pit.  This can be a major distraction.  

this is how they keep time.  would you rather they DUT?  They get into their show that is great!  I love watching my son pulse!

8 minutes ago, flammaster said:

this is how they keep time.  would you rather they DUT?  They get into their show that is great!  I love watching my son pulse!

I'm with you most of the time, I don't even mind when they get into it a little bit.  It's a performance idiom, of course people should emote and be emotionally involved with it and be able to express that.  But there is a line that gets crossed some times, and I can't even think of that many examples, where it's obviously forced and it gets incredibly distracting.  It goes on more than DCI for me in that regard, but I'm thinking particularly of a certain non top 12 corps I saw at San Antonio in 2013 that was absolutely cringe worthy and was all I could watch where they looked like they were about to take off for space bouncing up and down with their fake...stupid...ridiculous smiles.  

Edited by DrumManTx

52 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

I figured someone was going to reply this to me LOL.  Yeah, he definitely is a legend. I contradict myself by saying it but it would be strange if he wasn't announcing! It just always is weird for me hearing "presenting their 2016 program, confusing existentialism, THE AHAHAKAFZJAVZJAHAUA" then it turns into some serious deep show. No offense to Mr. Crocker, there's a reason he's had that role for a while. Just my two cents :o)

FWIW you're not alone.  All due respect to Mr. Crocker, imo he's making too many mistakes, fumbling the timing, etc...  I would love to see Dan Potter take the reins.  He does just as enthusiastic a job, but he's on time and very clear.  

Edited by corpsband