What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

4 minutes ago, corpsband said:

FWIW you're not alone.  All due respect to Mr. Crocker, imo he's making too many mistakes, fumbling the timing, etc...  I would love to see Dan Potter Fran Haring take the reins.  He does just as enthusiastic a job, but he's on time and very clear.  

Why, thank you!!!:innocent::tongue: 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Guard member emoting while carrying around a helmet/shako. 

or even more ironic, emoting while carrying a saber or imitation rifle.:dozingoff:

(last acts of Phantom Regiment's shows excepted.)

Edited by xandandl

the solo snare, joined by two more snares, adding more in until the tenors join in some form of block/diamond/triangle with all of the required body, finally the bass joining in and a flurry of notes and shots

• Like 3

On 3/29/2017 at 4:50 PM, xandandl said:

almost every show now has to have a soli dancer, then boy meets girl, girl pushes boy away and finds another.

some sub-groupings, alternating duets in movements, etc. might be more interesting than same old, same old.

i like it when the boy meets another boy. worked very well for VK in 2010

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

or even more ironic, emoting while carrying a saber or imitation rifle.:dozingoff:

(last acts of Phantom Regiment's shows excepted.)

I even hate the word emoting. It's right up there with moist. Moist emoting would just be awful.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, corpsband said:

lol - aren't your shirts banned from DCI contests?  

:thumbup:

Heck... haven't even worn one at a DCA outdoor show for a while!!!

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the solo snare, joined by two more snares, adding more in until the tenors join in some form of block/diamond/triangle with all of the required body, finally the bass joining in and a flurry of notes and shots

IMO, only one corps, BD 2007, has pulled this trick off really well. They also won the Sanford that year, so they set the bar very high for future corps that would do it.

11 hours ago, johnpendell said:

I figured someone was going to reply this to me LOL.  Yeah, he definitely is a legend. I contradict myself by saying it but it would be strange if he wasn't announcing! It just always is weird for me hearing "presenting their 2016 program, confusing existentialism, THE AHAHAKAFZJAVZJAHAUA" then it turns into some serious deep show. No offense to Mr. Crocker, there's a reason he's had that role for a while. Just my two cents :o)

I'll be brave and back you up on this.  Brandt didn't always bust out the gravel voice.  And I too find it cringe worthy.  Phantaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam RRRRRRegiment!!!!!!!!   Okay I get it.  But, Brandt, it's not about you, just sayin'.  Just announce the corps straight up, as you used to do.   This is why I like how Bluecoats do their own introduction.  I suppose I just poked the stick into the hornet nest but.... I've been thinking this for years..