What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

You couldn't be more wrong about this. I don't like the gravel voice on any corps introduction including troopers, SCV and any other corps you'd like to mention. Phantom Regiment was the example that came to mind. Surely you are being obtuse on purpose. And yes I just quoted both "Airplane" and "Shawshank Redemption" there. 

Do you like drum corps shows about gladiators?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, flammaster said:

this is how they keep time.  would you rather they DUT?  They get into their show that is great!  I love watching my son pulse!

Well I should have said, really demonstrative beat bouncing, grinning pit.  Don't get me wrong, I understand the why of it.  I'm just saying that sometimes I get drawn into watching the pit grinning and bouncing and forget to watch the show!

3 hours ago, year1buick said:

Do you like drum corps shows about gladiators?

Yes, but I haven't been in a Turkish prison. 

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

The whole snareline squatting thing is getting stale. This is usually done during some fast paced drum break. 
Body work for the sake of body work is just silly looking, too. I blame the early '90s Glassmen for that. 

"Simultaneous Demand"

I would lean toward:

(a) Show designers feeling compelled to answer questions no one has asked. Example: "What IS a Circle?" Answer: It's a two-dimensional polygon comprised of an infinite number of sides located equidistant from a common central point-- now shut up and play!! 

(b) Narrators trying to outdo each other using techniques gleaned from the William Shatner School of Spoken Word Performance: "To FEEL the presence of, dramatic pauses...to reachoutand...touchhhh me...today! Spo--!! But...(whisper) why....?"

(c) The deliverance of some underlying moral message, often using beatnik poetry or dialogue from Kung Fu and usually accompanied by a soli dancer: "As the flower shall seek peace within the shelter of its own shadow, so shall the bumblebee  design and build its own food processor..." OR "May the Blessings of the Oneness rain upon you as the Lotus blooms from the Navel of the Siddharta." 

• Like 5

On 3/29/2017 at 0:45 PM, hammondbrass said:

I read an AV Club article today about bad TV tropes writers use: "enhancing" photos, fake band names, using 555-1234 as phone numbers, the "magic" of Christmas, etc. Most of the reasons given were that they pulled the viewer out of the show, and I could see how it could also apply to DCI. What design tropes do you hate the most or are over-used?

For me, most of them seem to be in the pre-show. Mostly voice-over stuff. Honestly, the adjusting the dial with old-timey radio announcers does it the most for me. It's getting old.

Here's the AV Club article: http://www.avclub.com/article/what-tv-trope-aggravates-you-most-202160

Gratuitous lower body crap for "multiple responsibilities" which is basically code word for "demand", especially in places that don't really call for it....

Used to be the obligatory jam session, which I affectionately refer to as "OBJS"; that one went out of style a few years back though....

5 hours ago, corpsband said:

too lazy to find it but Cadets are guilty as well.

Jeff is guilty of only brilliance. Anything the Cadets did under him was absolutely necessary  to the artistic integrity of the show and to the betterment of mankind!

• Like 2