What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

Jeff is guilty of only brilliance. Anything the Cadets did under him was absolutely necessary  to the artistic integrity of the show and to the betterment of mankind!

2009 was a great example of how Jeff used representational drill forms to give a synopsis of the history of the Cadets who were celebrating their 75th Anniversary, but that was eight years ago already.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

2009 was a great example of how Jeff used representational drill forms to give a synopsis of the history of the Cadets who were celebrating their 75th Anniversary, but that was eight years ago already.

That's SCARY ( It was 8 years ago already).

I'll add another personal design trope that I don't care about.

Corps using letters or numbers as drill sets.

Cadets using "G"

Cavaliers using "007"

SCV using SCV

Blue Devils using "Ink"

Crown using the most recent example that was posted here a couple of posts back.

....more that I can't think of at the moment.

I do, however, love certain well know shapes:

Cross to Cross

Star to Star to Star....

Crown to Crown.

Rotating and expanding boxes.

Wedges

"X's"

45 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

That's SCARY ( It was 8 years ago already).

I'll add another personal design trope that I don't care about.

Corps using letters or numbers as drill sets.

Cadets using "G"

Cavaliers using "007"

SCV using SCV

Blue Devils using "Ink"

Crown using the most recent example that was posted here a couple of posts back.

....more that I can't think of at the moment.

I do, however, love certain well know shapes:

Cross to Cross

Star to Star to Star....

Crown to Crown.

Rotating and expanding boxes.

Wedges

"X's"

Review, especially from 0.50 on; quite the history there..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHHUl_tJmS4

No matter how good a performance might be, I immediately lose interest when a section or the entire hornline will have one foot crossed over the other during a feature. Yes, I get the attempted message is that they are doing something really hard so they can stand in a cool way that makes it seem easy. I just think it's laziness on the part of the designers and they throw it in because they can't think of anything original.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lance said:

most of the things people are complaining about with body movement get rewarded

if anything, it's just going to get amplified every passing year unless there's a sea change when it comes to scoring

yup, this thread is all the things that Cesario likes.

Any show that revolves around telling their story through one individual or a couple guard members.  Last year's Blue Star's show comes to mind.  That chick in the gold dress walked around carrying an umbrella for the whole production, and a lot of drill and visual moments were centered around her.  She drew focus away from the other 149 people on the field and did pretty much nothing.  There are quite a few other shows that have done this (Colts Scarecrow show as well as their Murder Mystery show, Cadets Alice in Wonderland show, etc).When I'm in the stands I like to focus on the ensemble, and not on one or two people constantly mugging to the crowd.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tommynev said:

Any show that revolves around telling their story through one individual or a couple guard members.  Last year's Blue Star's show comes to mind.  That chick in the gold dress walked around carrying an umbrella for the whole production, and a lot of drill and visual moments were centered around her.  She drew focus away from the other 149 people on the field and did pretty much nothing.  There are quite a few other shows that have done this (Colts Scarecrow show as well as their Murder Mystery show, Cadets Alice in Wonderland show, etc).When I'm in the stands I like to focus on the ensemble, and not on one or two people constantly mugging to the crowd.  

Thank you, thank you, for mentioning this.

Anniversary shows, tailored for niche fans, are the worst. Nothing like sitting with less-than-hardcore audience members and seeing the confusion or lack of interest in their eyes when "Corps A" does tribute drill moves and scattered music snippets that have zero context for everyone but insiders. 

Nothing says growth and appeal like playing to a tiny subset of the audience. 

:ninja: