What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

On 4/2/2017 at 0:03 PM, Musicman1084 said:

Overacting - Surprisingly, I don't specifically mean in the guard, though they are very guilty at times.  I mean specifically the corps proper.  It can come across as incredibly cheesy, disingenuous, and sometimes uncomfortable.  While many, many corps are guilty, the easiest example to remember for me is Madison's New York show in the transition to the closer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0M9kfl13Fo start at 8:50.  Give me a break with this sort of stuff.  It sucks absolutely all emotion and effect out of a show when I see stuff like that.

Well, I can't unsee that!  Horrible. 

• Like 2

Over the top forced preachiness. We're just all part of this wonderful blue marble of beauty and joy. 

12 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Over the top forced preachiness. We're just all part of this wonderful blue marble of beauty and joy. 

Every time I see this sentiment come out, which I agree with, I also think about that penultimate "preachy" show of Good v Evil, Cadets' Angels and Demons.  The touches in that show, the imagery, the music could clearly be called preachy, but the stunning visuals, incredible music choices and arranging, massive talent of the marching members put it up in my top-3 shows I've ever seen.

The Saturday night performance of that show is the kind of preachiness I'll take every year.

And I get that what your talking about is more the Cadets NPR show...  Is that irony or coincidence? 

:lle:

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Every time I see this sentiment come out, which I agree with, I also think about that penultimate "preachy" show of Good v Evil, Cadets' Angels and Demons.  The touches in that show, the imagery, the music could clearly be called preachy, but the stunning visuals, incredible music choices and arranging, massive talent of the marching members.

The Saturday night performance of that show is the kind of preachiness I'll take every year.

And I get that what your talking about is more the Cadets NPR show...  Is that irony or coincidence? 

:lle:

The Cadets NPR show was the biggest mess I've ever seen. Whoever was responsible for that disaster should have stepped away from the activity! I cringe just thinking of how embarrassing that show was for the image of the Cadets. It's a wonder they survived shows like that.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, dans said:

The Cadets NPR show was the biggest mess I've ever seen. Whoever was responsible for that disaster should have stepped away from the activity! I cringe just thinking of how embarrassing that show was for the image of the Cadets. It's a wonder they survived shows like that.

that show was Sully's (Marc Sylvester and GH) from start to finish.

17 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

5 hours ago, dans said:

At the end of the season, they cut the last scene and allowed the show to end with honestly one of their best closing drills to allow the kids to receive a strong ovation. Cadets staff have been guilty of some of the most wasted talent of membership on poorly designed shows. Yes, it was the worse Cadet show with 2004 and 2010 pretty close behind. Hoping some new staff blood adds some innovation and thoughtfulness back to Cadets. Too much talent in MMs to waste.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dans said:

I will never figure out, in a show whose centerpiece was a "National Public Radio" interview.... why was the "interview" done on a TV-show set, rather than a radio studio set. 

I worked in radio news/public affairs for several years... never did an interview on a set like that.  :tongue:

Also could not quite figure out why the "interview" looked more like a guy coming home from work, hanging up his suit coat, and sitting down with his significant other for a cup of coffee or something. LOL

I agree... a poorly-executed show concept, overall.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

that show was Sully's (Marc Sylvester and GH) from start to finish.

not sure I'd call that show "Sully's"  -- the show was the brainchild of another "personality".  Sully certainly did with it what he could :-/

i think what bothered me (and perhaps others) the most was the obvious talent on the field being saddled with that concept.  it happens  i guess -- it was certainly a "let's try this" kind of thing.   Cadets trying something "new" never bothered me too much -- even if they missed on this one.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, corpsband said:

not sure I'd call that show "Sully's"  -- the show was the brainchild of another "personality".  Sully certainly did with it what he could :-/

i think what bothered me (and perhaps others) the most was the obvious talent on the field being saddled with that concept.  it happens  i guess -- it was certainly a "let's try this" kind of thing.   Cadets trying something "new" never bothered me too much -- even if they missed on this one.  

The early donor literature sent out by YEAble  attributes the idea to Marc Sylvester listening to NPR one night and later speaking about it to GH. Have you a reliable provable source otherwise?  I'll give "credit" where "credit" is due, but credit is questionable.

5 minutes ago, xandandl said:

The early donor literature sent out by YEAble  attributes the idea to Marc Sylvester listening to NPR one night and later speaking about it to GH. Have you a reliable provable source otherwise?  I'll give "credit" where "credit" is due, but credit is questionable.

oh come on -- he has the t-shirt (and the mug ( and the tote bag (and the bumper sticker( and the CD)))).  lol.