What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

17 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Please re-read...

Tom Aungst's young padawan has stepped up into his place.  And the force is strong with this one.  (See:  CWP)  

Obi Wan was great and having both of them there was ideal but if i had to pick one I'd rather have Luke.  :starwars:

In fact Tom was quite happy at Crown.  It was only Sith Lord Hopkins playing this card that got him to leave:

Edited by corpsband

3 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

I dunno...

Not all cliche is bad cliche...

Some shtick is good shtick... right Garfield? :innocent:

But what gets me the most and takes me out of it all is probably the use of "drama" in general.  Not the use of emotion... but the use of drama.  As if a multi-act play in 11 minute compression is unfolding.  Especially when it highlights only a few people (usually a couple of guard members)... and ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY when it requires one of the uniformed (in the classical sense) horn/percussion members to play along... and ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY when said uniformed members remove their hats/helmets to do so, as if to say "SURPRISE!!!! I'm an unnecessary character in a less necessary story!... okay on with the playing..."

I personally cringe my face inside out in those moments.  But I'm a biased hornliner from yesteryear... I have preferences and expectations that I can't shake.

There is absolutely nothing in this post that I can disagree with.  And, believe me, I've tried.  

Dangit.

:innocent:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, corpsband said:

And I don't think I said anything about running away with it.

As I said earlier -- steps forward.  The very nature of the competition is going to mean that sometimes  they may be small steps. I'm willing to be patient.  

Well the "oops" with the scoring table seemed a bit unnecessary as I didn't say anything about how Crown didn't deserve their placement, but to each their own.
I'm just pointing out some facts, that's all. And I would love to see 6 corps battling it out for the Sanford, but that's not realistic. 

We all need to remember that even a great percussion section might not get it's due if the design/staging doesn't help them. Adjudication can be inconsistent. 

But one thing is nearly absolute...you won't be top 3 if you play dirty rolls at finals. 

So here's to a great 2017 season and hopefully an exciting race at the top. :grouphug:

Just now, corpsband said:

On this at least we can agree.  Even if it took a lot of salty preamble to get there.

Me...salty...never. I love all drumlines.

I agree Crown getting 4th was a great step, haven't denied that. I'm just saying they seem to do the more body movement from their battery than the others and in my humble opinion it has affected them.

1 hour ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Me...salty...never. I love all drumlines.

I agree Crown getting 4th was a great step, haven't denied that. I'm just saying they seem to do the more body movement from their battery than the others and in my humble opinion it has affected them.

I think it's more a case of the battery not being "exempted" from a lot of the dance that the rest of the corps is doing.  Many corps will water or remove a lot of that vocabulary because the battery "just can't physically do that".  The same comment can be applied to the hornline --  they're constantly being asked to do things which should impact their ability to play with excellence and control but somehow they manage to do it anyway.  

Don't think that's gonna go away -- it's just part of Crown's personality.   

edit:

I just hope they're practicing their backwards jazz-running! #Sacktig #NoMercy

Edited by corpsband

On 4/17/2017 at 5:16 PM, corpsband said:

you mean Cadets and Cavaliers?

Crown finished 4th in the percussion caption last year in Indy.

(oops) 

tNlyfqM.png

Crown certainly isn't "weak" in percussion as perhaps in the past BUT I think Cadets percussion last year was a victim of a poorly designed show that bled into every other caption. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tobias said:

Crown certainly isn't "weak" in percussion as perhaps in the past BUT I think Cadets percussion last year was a victim of a poorly designed show that bled into every other caption. 

Indeed.

The Cadets are a championship contending organization... that got stuck with an impossible task last year.  It's like putting a formula one driver in a go-kart arena... expecting them to somehow be kiss'n the bricks in Indy.  It ain't happenin'.  The skills and the drive is there... but the resources are miscalculated and improperly allocated.

I hope they get it sorted out this year.

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

The comment I made was more of respect than anything.  Both Cadets and Cavaliers percussion lines have long histories of excellence.  I'm sure Tom will straighten out percussion.  The rest of the "issues" we will have to wait and see.  I think there's cause for both hope and trepidation.