What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

54 minutes ago, corpsband said:

The comment I made was more of respect than anything.  Both Cadets and Cavaliers percussion lines have long histories of excellence.  I'm sure Tom will straighten out percussion.  The rest of the "issues" we will have to wait and see.  I think there's cause for both hope and trepidation.  

A new season upon us and I'm hoping Cadets have ironed out the staff/design adjustments they made. I'm tentatively excited about the product this summer but do feel the percussion last year was extremely strong and was weighed down by the weak design.  It's all about guard now. If you have a top guard, you're set, when that slips, all the other stuff is almost useless. 

On 3/30/2017 at 11:39 AM, brassdude6171 said:

I think that this discussion can really be likened to the one going on in the world of MLB right now. For those not familiar with the situation there, they're really worried about audience interest especially in the younger demographic. One solution for them that is at the forefront is playing with emotion (think Jose Bautista of the Toronto Blue Jay's and his bat flip in the playoffs) because just playing the game at a high level isn't enough to interest the audience anymore. 

The way this relates to the marching arts is exhibited in that last sentence. Just playing and marching at a high level is not enough anymore, see Cadets the last few seasons. Which is why design teams have to throw in small differences that may seem gimmicky but end up making all the difference on the GE sheets, see the knee twist already brought up in this discussion. 

Long story short, though a lot of these things may seem irrelevant and unnecessary to the program, it's the extra details that give the audience an extra thing to be impressed by, because just playing, spinning, and marching your program at a high level is not enough anymore. 

And that to me is a crying shame.

The evolution of entertainment mediums is always met by disappointed sighs from the previous generation and enthusiastic acceptance from the current/future one.

The cycle continues.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2017 at 6:03 PM, Fran Haring said:

Not sure this is in the "trope" or "cringe" category, and might be a story for another thread....

But the whole "ballad in the middle of the show" thing.  Tune-ballad-tune. 

I actually found it a refreshing change of pace to hear Phantom do two ballads last season. Whether it worked or not... well...  LOL

I would love to hear a corps do a no-ballad show.  (By that, I don't mean just loud-loud-loud.) If that's been done recently, someone here can refresh my memory.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but Cavaliers 2005 didn't really have a "ballad" in it.  There was a couple of slow transitions into the "ballad" but the "ballad" was the fire section was pretty aggressive.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 6:03 PM, Fran Haring said:

Not sure this is in the "trope" or "cringe" category, and might be a story for another thread....

But the whole "ballad in the middle of the show" thing.  Tune-ballad-tune. 

I actually found it a refreshing change of pace to hear Phantom do two ballads last season. Whether it worked or not... well...  LOL

I would love to hear a corps do a no-ballad show.  (By that, I don't mean just loud-loud-loud.) If that's been done recently, someone here can refresh my memory.

I might be wrong, but I think BD's Re:Rite of Spring was a no ballad show. At least I didn't hear anything ballad like. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 9:33 PM, BRASSO said:

Reading this thread that was just started and theres dozens of irrititant things listed... And in such short a time... maybe the Corps should just stand there and park and bark 1 or 2 songs in the show for 11 minutes, then get off the field... lol!

Not really. What about just some more interesting drill and less stupid body movements standing still. 

• 2 weeks later...