What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

Flag lines that do waterfalls across the line. Once the third person does it the effect is lost and we're just patiently waiting for the rest of the line to finish.

That also goes with the tuba lines. When everyone else snaps their much lighter horns, but it's still almost minute till the rest of the section shoulders up. Is it because the section can't snap up in unison?

• Like 1

body movement to the point of saturation. Just because you're not marching doesn't mean you need to do a squat or leg kick.

'Coats 2011 intro is the prime example. musically, excellent. and half of the movements fit. but they're doing these kicks and twists on every phrase, even though the music is sort of a slow ominous build that doesn't need a kickline.  for what should be an excellent opener, I cringe when I watch it.

• Like 3

Reading this thread that was just started and theres dozens of irrititant things listed... And in such short a time... maybe the Corps should just stand there and park and bark 1 or 2 songs in the show for 11 minutes, then get off the field... lol!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Not sure this is in the "trope" or "cringe" category, and might be a story for another thread....

But the whole "ballad in the middle of the show" thing.  Tune-ballad-tune. 

I actually found it a refreshing change of pace to hear Phantom do two ballads last season. Whether it worked or not... well...  LOL

I would love to hear a corps do a no-ballad show.  (By that, I don't mean just loud-loud-loud.) If that's been done recently, someone here can refresh my memory.

The Academy made a really refreshing decision last season by putting their ballad at the end of the show. I know that doesn't really count as a "no-ballad" show, but I hope other corps follow suit if it makes sense with their particular show.

• Like 2

When corps do some sort of cringy or awkward dance during the drum break (Im looking at you BD!). BD's drum break was... interesting to say the least. I prefer corps marching during the breaks. Since the corps isn't playing, this is the most opportune time to have some really technical and interesting drill. Cavies really pulled this off well in the Gaines era. 

Also, when the battery tilts their drums upward after a big section of music. Not as popular now, but I see it occasionally. It just seems so old-fashioned. I do like when drum lines do other things like put their sticks up in the air before a big release and stuff like that. Not sure how to really explain that one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Not sure this is in the "trope" or "cringe" category, and might be a story for another thread....

I actually found it a refreshing change of pace to hear Phantom do two ballads last season. Whether it worked or not... well...  LOL

I would love to hear a corps do a no-ballad show.  (By that, I don't mean just loud-loud-loud.) If that's been done recently, someone here can refresh my memory.

Honestly, the definition of a ballad is pretty malleable. What defines a ballad? Do they have to be under a certain tempo? Do they have to be pretty? Do they have to not have technical sections in them? I can point out many ballads that don't fit all of these categories. But I like ballads (as long as they're executed well). I'd much rather hear diversity in the music than just opener/closer material. Ballads anywhere else but the middle don't really fit into shows imo (but Academy pulled it off last year).

But anyways... the most un-ballad ballad I can recall is Great Gig in the Sky from Bloo '16. The tempo got pretty fast in the middle, there were screaming high notes, etc. the only reason imo it's really classified as a ballad is because it's in the middle.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mjoakes said:

There's a foot or knee twist that everyone seems to be doing. It's not just a Bluecoats thing. Watching video of the last few years of finals during December holidays, I remember thinking that small move must be a requirement or something. Like presenting the colors used to be.

The prance + smile of a guard member. Really respect what they do. But after a great toss and spin, that obligatory smile to the crowd makes me feel like I am at a circus.

Yeah that knee-twist pop thing is getting old!

The move that really makes me roll my eyes is the jazzy horn soloist with the foot crossing in front of the other. Especially if it doesn't match the music.

20 hours ago, mjoakes said:

There's a foot or knee twist that everyone seems to be doing. It's not just a Bluecoats thing. Watching video of the last few years of finals during December holidays, I remember thinking that small move must be a requirement or something. Like presenting the colors used to be.

The infamous Jim Moore bug squash.  Nice to see  Bloo getting called out instead of Crown.  He loves that move.  (and it's pretty easy to teach / execute as well as creating a lot lower body movement without disrupting the upper body).  There's a reason you see it everywhere :-) 

Edited by corpsband

15 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Cadets 2007. A monster show with no ballad

• Like 1