What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

47 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Cadets 2007. A monster show with no ballad

And a killer horn line that year!!!

• Like 1

I think that this discussion can really be likened to the one going on in the world of MLB right now. For those not familiar with the situation there, they're really worried about audience interest especially in the younger demographic. One solution for them that is at the forefront is playing with emotion (think Jose Bautista of the Toronto Blue Jay's and his bat flip in the playoffs) because just playing the game at a high level isn't enough to interest the audience anymore. 

The way this relates to the marching arts is exhibited in that last sentence. Just playing and marching at a high level is not enough anymore, see Cadets the last few seasons. Which is why design teams have to throw in small differences that may seem gimmicky but end up making all the difference on the GE sheets, see the knee twist already brought up in this discussion. 

Long story short, though a lot of these things may seem irrelevant and unnecessary to the program, it's the extra details that give the audience an extra thing to be impressed by, because just playing, spinning, and marching your program at a high level is not enough anymore. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, corpsband said:

Not sure I'd ever say BD's and Crown arranging styles are similar.  (even your example 1 minute vs 10 secs) .  While I too was excited to hear more of Equilibrium , the fact that they played it when they did (a full minute near the end of the show) was probably a limiting factor.  Nobody wants to load up on 2.5 mins of super technical stuff near the end of a program -- just not smart.  

I do agree that the number of pieces listed for some corps is just crazy (and must be crazy expensive).  There's absolutely no way to give any of them justice (never mind just a single one).   Most often it's pure fluff.  They can sit in critique and say "Yes we only played to 2 measures of XXXXX but it's so critical to conceptual development (as if quoting 10 pieces for 2 measures each somehow bolsters a concept).   You literally need heavy machinery to shovel away the giant bs & fluff sandwich.

I wasn't comparing/critiquing arranging styles.  Just being selfish in that I woulda liked to hear more of those listed pieces in their shows.  

35 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I wasn't comparing/critiquing arranging styles.  Just being selfish in that I woulda liked to hear more of those listed pieces in their shows.  

I'd do anything to hear a corps play a full 3-minute opener in their show this year. Just one!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, brassdude6171 said:

The way this relates to the marching arts is exhibited in that last sentence. Just playing and marching at a high level is not enough anymore, see Cadets the last few seasons. Which is why design teams have to throw in small differences that may seem gimmicky but end up making all the difference on the GE sheets, see the knee twist already brought up in this discussion. 

Long story short, though a lot of these things may seem irrelevant and unnecessary to the program, it's the extra details that give the audience an extra thing to be impressed by, because just playing, spinning, and marching your program at a high level is not enough anymore. 

I think you are conflating two different motives for doing a lot of the things people are complaining about on this thread:  scoring points and wowing audiences.  

I think there is sufficient evidence that those elements may score points.  

I do not think there is sufficient evidence that those things wow audiences.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

The Academy closed with that so they should open like that this year!  

Nope.

The honey moon is already over, the soloist divorced the Academy and re-married BD, and the in-laws burnt the clothes worn at the wedding and will now be attired in new duds. According to sources in Madison, DCI Indy office is looking to see if they can get back the wedding gift. :laughing:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, corpsband said:

The infamous Jim Moore bug squash.  Nice to Bloo getting called out instead of Crown.  He loves that move.  (and it's pretty easy to teach / execute as well as creating a lot lower body movement without disrupting the upper body).  There's a reason you see it everywhere :-) 

Yea unfortunately BD finally did that stupid move and I wanted to puke more than seeing any other corps do it!