Crown = Star

I know that somebody's probably brought this up before, but I haven't seen it. 

The similarities between Star and Crown are pretty weird. Here's what I've noticed:

•Star wore cream uniforms in '93 very similar to Crown's uniforms pre-2013

•Star has only won once just like Crown (at least so far). 

•Star's drum major for '93 was Matt Harloff, the brass tech for Crown. 

•Star played Medea in '93, and Crown played it as well in '16. 

Star was the crowd favorite in '93 and didn't win on finals night, just like Crown in '15

(CORRECTION: Star was not the crowd favorite)

Pretty pointless post, but just wanted to point some stuff out. If there are more similarities, let me know!

Edited by DawsonBurnes
Making corrections

I definitely wouldn't call Star the crowd favorite in 93. Phantom was probably the overall crowd favorite but the fans also went wild when the Cadets pulled ahead on Friday and when Star was announced in 2nd on Saturday.  

Everything else you posted is pretty spot on. Nice work. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawsonBurnes said:

•Star was the crowd favorite in '93 

No they wern't. Not from my vantage point, anyway. Cadets won, Star 2nd, but the " crowd favorite " in Mississippi that season was Phantom Regiment, followed closely by the Madison Scouts. Star of Indiana was not " the crowd favorite " in 93, so my guess you were not around in '93, and perhaps became susceptible to an urban myth passed down from '93 to you. As I don't know too nmany people in attendance in '93 that thought the DCI crowd favorite was the Star of Indiana that season.

I'd have to agree with those who say Star was not the favorite in 1993. Absence has made the heart grow fonder in Star's case. I can recall many people in 1994 claiming that Star's departure was a case of sour grapes. 

Regarding Star in 1993 to Crown in 2015, Crown's 2015 finals show was somewhat lackluster compared with prelims and semi's. Percussion was considered the culprit. For Star in 1993, those who saw the show as revolutionary believed Star was robbed. 

I know there are some who see comparisons between Star and Crown, and for some Star fans, Crown has filled the gap left by Star's departure. Star did make significant contributions to the activity, but Crown is its own self, not a reincarnation of Star.

5 hours ago, BRASSO said:

No they wern't. Not from my vantage point, anyway. Cadets won, Star 2nd, but the " crowd favorite " in Mississippi that season was Phantom Regiment, followed closely by the Madison Scouts. Star of Indiana was not " the crowd favorite " in 93, so my guess you were not around in '93, and perhaps became susceptible to an urban myth passed down from '93 to you. As I don't know too nmany people in attendance in '93 that thought the DCI crowd favorite was the Star of Indiana that season.

Agreed! Star was definitely NOT crowd favorite...not even by a long shot...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I wonder how many iterations of this same topic I have seen pop up over my years on here...

This topic surfaces a lot. If anything, I see far more of a connection between the current Blue Devils and the former Star of Indiana, than between Carolina Crown and the former Star of Indiana. But no sense in revisiting this topic again as nobody wants to see Crown ( or BD ) end up like the Star of Indiana in THAT comparison.. lol!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2