what mouthpiece should i use to start on baritone?

Roy Killough

Hi I am a new member here and have been wanting to ask a question about mouthpiece size. I play Bass Trombone and am currently using a Schilke 59 mouthpiece, should i continue to use this mouthpiece as i continue to learn Baritone? or should i look for a smaller mouthpiece and what brand? i don't know if certain corps want certain size and brand mouthpieces so we all match but if it helps to answer my question i want to audition for either Carolina crown, Cadets or Blue coats next year. If anyone has any suggestions or can help me figure this out it would be much appreciated! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Roy, sorry you haven't received much help, and I dunno if you still need it, but an all-around amazing mouthpiece is the Schilke 51D. It's very similar to the 59, and has reliably served me for several years. As for specific corps, you'll have to ask around with current marchers/alumni. 

Happy huntings, enjoy the baritone!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt many marching euphs or baritones play well with a 59; that's a big mouthpiece.  We used 51Ds (or similar) on baritone in the USMC D&B, and a smaller mouthpiece for the euphs (often a Giddings & Webster GW-102, which is probably closer to a 51 or a 6 1/2).  Get a 51D as a baseline, and expect to possibly need a small shank if you get on bari instead of euphonium.

Either way, I'll expect that everyone in the line will be using the same mouthpiece -- but don't worry about it for now.  But do get used to a smaller one than a 59.

• 10 months later...

Not big on the Schilke, never liked the shape of the cup or the way it sealed to my embouchure, but I understand that many legit pros use them and a few drum corps too.

I started on a Bach 12C in 5th grade for my student Holton tbn. Once I joined VK (faking that I knew how to play the G Baritone Bugle), they required all lead baritones to play on a 6 1/2 AL, which took some getting used too, but it's darker and louder and helps me navigate from pedals to the triple register. It's fantastically versatile. At SCV they required us to use a 5G, which also took some adjustment. The horn sgt. was cool about it and gave me a gold-plated one, which I also recommend. Gold is nice and easy on the skin. 

My overall preference is still the Bach 6 1/2 AL. Getzen makes decent tbn/bar/euph mouthpieces too.