DCA Recordings?

15 hours ago, Kamarag said:

You have no bloody idea how close we came to the entire house of cards collapsing.

You can't blame the fans for their ignorance when no one says anything on the record.

41 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

I do think there will come a day in the not-too-distant future where we'll be able to have access to those recordings (and current/future audio and video) and at a reasonable cost. This is simply another example of where the law needs to catch up to the technology.

I thought "those recordings" represented a giant heap of unwinnable litigation that came bloody close to collapsing the entire house of cards.  Further, the law catching up with the technology seems to be one of the reasons "those recordings" are off the market now.  What kind of change would reconcile all that?

45 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I thought "those recordings" represented a giant heap of unwinnable litigation that came bloody close to collapsing the entire house of cards.  Further, the law catching up with the technology seems to be one of the reasons "those recordings" are off the market now.  What kind of change would reconcile all that?

Copyright reform, which will be on the table in a few years. Not because of the music business, but because the tech sector demands it (it's already starting to happen). We're not talking tomorrow, but within a decade.

What the general topic at hand deals with is the past abuses and current application of the law.

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You can't blame the fans for their ignorance when no one says anything on the record.

legally, saying too much could have made it worse

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Legally, saying too much could have made it worse.

Yes, it's a veritable Catch-22.

14 hours ago, Kamarag said:

Copyright reform, which will be on the table in a few years. Not because of the music business, but because the tech sector demands it (it's already starting to happen). We're not talking tomorrow, but within a decade.

Even if there is copyright reform in the future, it will probably only deal with the general music industry.  The marching arts will still face the complications of derivative works.  If we hold our breath waiting for that to change, we will all look like your avatar.

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Even if there is copyright reform in the future, it will probably only deal with the general music industry.  The marching arts will still face the complications of derivative works.  If we hold our breath waiting for that to change, we will all look like your avatar.

We are "the general music industry". Seriously. I deal with this stuff on a daily basis.

12 hours ago, Kamarag said:

We are "the general music industry". Seriously. I deal with this stuff on a daily basis.

agreed. it will bleed over into all forms

This is a discussion that needs to take place. And while we wait for an eventual resolution, hopefully in the near future, I'd point out that there is an enormous amount of music available in the Public Domain for which no licensing would be required.

With some exceptions, everything composed before 1923 or so is now out of copyright, and that would include not just "popular" titles, but much of what we generally refer to as "classical" music.

Arranging or synchronizing other more recent music "for free" may be a way off, but there's no shortage of familiar material available gratis. I won't be losing sleep over not hearing a lot of what's being produced today for a while longer. Besides, it's in everyone's interest to arrive at a reasonable, workable solution for that material anyway. That will happen.

Stay tuned.

• Like 1