DCA Recordings?

The media section on the DCA website is empty. So are audio and video recordings gone forever -- for both past years and in the future?

From the days of Fleetwood recording shows and issuing vinyl records throughout the season, now there is nothing.

I know there is a $ problem with licensing that didn't use to exist. But wow, what wonderful "progress."

For the amount DCA would sell vs the cost of licensing, DCA would lose a lot of money 

1 hour ago, WarriorHal said:

The media section on the DCA website is empty. So are audio and video recordings gone forever -- for both past years and in the future?

From the days of Fleetwood recording shows and issuing vinyl records throughout the season, now there is nothing.

I know there is a $ problem with licensing that didn't use to exist. But wow, what wonderful "progress."

Licensing has *always* existed. The corps, circuits, and companies like Fleetwood just ignored it or flat out didn't care.

So yes, it is progress.

35 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Licensing has *always* existed. The corps, circuits, and companies like Fleetwood just ignored it or flat out didn't care.

So yes, it is progress.

Amazing that the Brass Caption Head, Hawthorne Caballeros is pleased and thinks it is a good thing that people can no longer buy and enjoy DCA CDs & DVDs. As a long time drum corps fan of 40+ years, I am not pleased.

He thinks it's a good thing because using music without permission is a lawsuit that could kill corps and circuit. And DCA even more than dci played fast loose.... ok really ignored the rules longer than they should have.

this is a little drum corps circuit vs a multi billion corporation that pays people every day to surf the web and find violations. DCA nor its corps have the funds or legal precedents on their side to win in court. It's really quite simple. Sure I'd love dvds and cds. But I also don't want to see corps die trying to sue their way to an eventual loss in court. The music industry got serious about enforcing the rules and ignoring them cost drum corps a lot.

then again DCA is moving their workd championships to a high school stadium that won't be all that's been promised in a year. You get what you pay for 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WarriorHal said:

Amazing that the Brass Caption Head, Hawthorne Caballeros is pleased and thinks it is a good thing that people can no longer buy and enjoy DCA CDs & DVDs. As a long time drum corps fan of 40+ years, I am not pleased.

Where did he say he's pleased with no one being able to buy DCA audio/video products?

He didn't say any such thing. Just that marching-music organizations are finally playing by the rules of licensing, as they should be. 

It really is up to a given organization... DCA, DCI, BOA, whoever... to figure out how to 1) play by the rules, and 2) still generate enough product sales to make a profit.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, WarriorHal said:

I think it's a good thing that corps seek now permission to arrange music. I think it's a good thing that those composers and publishers get paid accordingly. I think it's a good thing that arrangers and publishers get paid by production companies that want to sell records, CDs, DVDs and live streams. I think it's a good thing that DCA (and DCI, USBands, BoA, etc.) now require their performing units to secure the appropriate arranging rights. I think it's a good thing that those same circuits, along with show sponsors, now secure the appropriate performance rights so those corps can publicly perform said music legally.

Additionally, I think it's a *very* good thing that Tresona, along with the many music publishers and rights holders, cut DCA and DCI a *massively* huge break to avoid litigation over the many decades of copyright abuse by the circuits, show sponsors, and individual corps. The only reason you are going to be able to enjoy drum corps going forward is because of that huge break. You have no bloody idea how close we came to the entire house of cards collapsing.

I also think it's a good thing that my corps, along with countless others, will survive to continue providing our great activity with places to perform, music to play, and opportunities for audiences to enjoy them.

If you are not pleased at any of what I've just stated, I really don't care. Enjoy your recordings. I'll enjoy mine knowing how fortunate we are that those recordings and performances didn't sink DCA, DCI, and my own corps in a giant heap of unwinnable litigation.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 6

I really couldn't wait for John's response.  That was extremely well said and well put and sums up a lot of people's feelings I am sure.  Love when the bear gets poked, and then the bear responds with sound logic and a whole lot of making sense!  Good work John, hope the Cabs had a good winter and early spring.

• Like 1

I understand the explanation for why DCA recordings are no longer available. Nevertheless, it's a very sad, disappointing, unfortunate situation and a huge loss for everybody that loves drum corps.

1 hour ago, WarriorHal said:

I understand the explanation for why DCA recordings are no longer available. Nevertheless, it's a very sad, disappointing, unfortunate situation and a huge loss for everybody that loves drum corps.

I do think there will come a day in the not-too-distant future where we'll be able to have access to those recordings (and current/future audio and video) and at a reasonable cost. This is simply another example of where the law needs to catch up to the technology.

• Like 1