1975, What a Year

6 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I think Madison won in 75 and Anaheim won in 1972.

1974 DCI "Upset":

Madison pretty well dominated the season that year, and actually were favored to win it all.  Santa Clara declined their "Going on last at Finals" as defending champion option and preceeded the Kingsmen and Madison Scouts (Who had beaten them in Prelims) in the appearance order in the night show.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Elphaba       :flower:

11 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Who did not know that SCV would win in 1972, or that Madison would win in 1974?

For every champ BITD that you "knew" would win, there is another you were just as sure about that lost.

Madison lost 4 shows in 74 prior to DCI prelims, to the Muchachos, Vanguard and Kingsmen. In 73 Vanguard lost one show and in 76 BD lost one show prior to DCI prelims. 

42 minutes ago, DAvery said:

Madison lost 4 shows in 74 prior to DCI prelims, to the Muchachos, Vanguard and Kingsmen. In 73 Vanguard lost one show and in 76 BD lost one show prior to DCI prelims. 

Madison lost 7 times prior to DCI in '74:  

6-21 to Muchachos

7-28 to SCV

8-1 to SCV

8-3 to SCV

8-4 to Kingsmen

8-4 to Kingsmen

8-9 to SCV

Blue Devils lost 2 times in '76:

6-25 to 27th Lancers

7-16 to SCV (by over 2 points)

Edited by Northern Thunder

I  think that the big story of 75 -it always gets overlooked- is what happened to Troopers.  They went from a very respectable 5th in 74 to not making finals in 75 if Muchies are not disqualified.  They've made finals since of course but they have never really been the same.  They were never the national powerhouse that they were from 64 to 74.  I've always wondered What Happened?

16 hours ago, Northern Thunder said:

Madison lost 7 times prior to DCI in '74:  

6-21 to Muchachos

7-28 to SCV

8-1 to SCV

8-3 to SCV

8-4 to Kingsmen

8-4 to Kingsmen

8-9 to SCV

Blue Devils lost 2 times in '76:

6-25 to 27th Lancers

7-16 to SCV (by over 2 points)

Not according to fromthepressbox and corpsresp. They lost to the Muchachos on 6/21, lost to SCV on 8/1, lost to the Kingsmen on 8/3, and lost to SCV on 8/9. There is no record of a show with Madison or SCV on 7/28, but it is possible since this was the day after Whitewater. I also can't find results from Key to the Sea prelims on 8/3, so maybe they did lose prelims to the Kingsmen. I assume there was prelims, since there was finals. It is true BD lost twice in 76. 

10 minutes ago, Bucbari said:

I  think that the big story of 75 -it always gets overlooked- is what happened to Troopers.  They went from a very respectable 5th in 74 to not making finals in 75 if Muchies are not disqualified.  They've made finals since of course but they have never really been the same.  They were never the national powerhouse that they were from 64 to 74.  I've always wondered What Happened?

Or the Kingsmen. 

3 minutes ago, DAvery said:

Or the Kingsmen. 

Yeah Another casualty of 75.

3 minutes ago, DAvery said:

Not according to fromthepressbox and corpsresp. They lost to the Muchachos on 6/21, lost to SCV on 8/1, lost to the Kingsmen on 8/3, and lost to SCV on 8/9. There is no record of a show with Madison or SCV on 7/28, but it is possible since this was the day after Whitewater. I also can't find results from Key to the Sea prelims on 8/3, so maybe they did lose prelims to the Kingsmen. I assume there was prelims, since there was finals. It is true BD lost twice in 76. 

The online score databases are not complete.

Here are Madison's losses in '74, prior to DCI:

6-21 Auburn, NY to Muchachos

7-28 Racine, WI to SCV

8-1 Bluegrass Nationals prelims to SCV (probably would have lost finals too, but SCV was rained out at finals)

8-3 Cincinnati OH to SCV

8-4 Key to the Sea prelims to Kingsmen

8-4 Key to the Sea finals to Kingsmen

8-9 US Open prelims to SCV

4 hours ago, Bucbari said:

Great question.

You're right... they've had some very good corps since then, but never been back in championship contention. That run from '64 to '74.... wow.