Pick Any Show Throughout All Time and Eternity That You Wish You Saw Live

2008 Phantom Regiment (Spartacus).  This is particularly vexing to me, as I ordered finals week tickets on the first day they were available, and had excellent seats.  This was the first year for Indy, and there was a ton of hype from DCI.  Unfortunately (or maybe FORTUNATELY?) everyone was informed later that Lucas Oil Stadium wasn't going to be ready in time, and the finals were moved to Bloomington.  No partial refund.  Nothing.  Very poor public relations by DCI.  I saw it as a total "bait and switch" scenario.  I was furious.  I thought about it for a while, but I stayed mad.  I was so mad, I sold my tickets on eBay. 

Someone else saw finals from MY seats.  I will always regret my decision, until the day I die.  I did see all the shows live that year on numerous occasions.  But not during finals week.

There is a lesson to be learned from this.  Be careful when making decisions based on emotion!!! 

Edited by Tommeee
originally posted wrong year!
  • Like 1

Though I saw Boston Crusaders live in 1999, I wish I had been at Camp Randall Stadium when it was certain that Boston Crusaders made finals for the first time. Another show was 27th Lancers when they won DCI East in 1980. Many say it was the greatest performance of their history.

• Like 3

1988 Madison Scouts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Though I saw Boston Crusaders live in 1999, I wish I had been at Camp Randall Stadium when it was certain that Boston Crusaders made finals for the first time.

I was fortunate to have been there that year in '99. It was pretty cool. it was even better imo when the Corps entered the stadium on Finals Night. The crowd erupted in sponataneus applause. DCI audiences do tend to have a great grasp of history in the making, and usually respond appropriately. For example, newer fans of DCI would recall the time the Troopers qualified for Finals after being out of Finals for 20+ years (from '86 to 2009 ), or Bluecoats topping the Blue Devils for the first time in their 40+ year history just a few years ago, or as recently as last summer, when Academy made World Class Div. Finals for the 1st time in their history. These accomplishments do not go unnoticed by the saavy and knowlewdgeable fans... and its sort of neat to see the audience's response when these infrequent milestone events occur.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Though I saw Boston Crusaders live in 1999, I wish I had been at Camp Randall Stadium when it was certain that Boston Crusaders made finals for the first time. Another show was 27th Lancers when they won DCI East in 1980. Many say it was the greatest performance of their history.

Gotta agree with Tim.  27 winning 1980 DCI East was unreal and I was there. Won't ever forget it!

• Like 4

On April 18, 2017 at 9:19 AM, Fran Haring said:

I think back to the days marching with a local-circuit corps, and remember how several of those local corps (including mine) were... uhhhh... not exactly stellar. LOL.  And I wonder if there could be a "pick any show you wish you did NOT see live"... I could fill 10 pages.  :tongue:

I can recall going to an Eastern Mass circuit show in the late 1980's. I was driving by a high school stadium, saw busses and equipment trucks, and though I had not planned on going, could not resist. Many of the corps had heart but we're in tough shape, but it wasn't a show with DCI contenders, all local corps with local kids, and I was teaching at an elementary school at the time, so effort mattered more than perfection. Don't me who competed, though the Joanettes and Braintree Braves were most likely there, and I did not see a show I can recall though memory is great, but I'd love to see a circuit show with all abilities, great and not so great today.

BTW, while I did attend circuit shows in my area when I could, in the late days of the circuit shows not too many folks not associated with the corps attended the shows. The same holds true for Open Class shows today. There is a great Open Class show in the Boston area (Manchester, NH) and very few people who are not connected to a corps or know someone marching attend. I've been told this is not uncommon. If we want the activity to survive, we need to support it at all levels.

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

I can recall going to an Eastern Mass circuit show in the late 1980's. I was driving by a high school stadium, saw busses and equipment trucks, and though I had not planned on going, could not resist. Many of the corps had heart but we're in tough shape, but it wasn't a show with DCI contenders, all local corps with local kids, and I was teaching at an elementary school at the time, so effort mattered more than perfection. Don't me who competed, though the Joanettes and Braintree Braves were most likely there, and I did not see a show I can recall though memory is great, but I'd love to see a circuit show with all abilities, great and not so great today.

BTW, while I did attend circuit shows in my area when I could, in the late days of the circuit shows not too many folks not associated with the corps attended the shows. The same holds true for Open Class shows today. There is a great Open Class show in the Boston area (Manchester, NH) and very few people who are not connected to a corps or know someone marching attend. I've been told this is not uncommon. If we want the activity to survive, we need to support it at all levels.

Well said, Tim.

I didn't mean to denigrate those smaller local corps from days gone by... there were some very good corps... heck, a couple of them from our local circuit ended up merging to become the Crossmen... and as I said, some not-so-great corps.  LOL.

But the effort was always there... big, small, a corps scoring a 70 or a corps with a 35.  (The corps I was with fit both categories, depending on the year.  :tongue:)

And there were times when the stands were standing-room-only full, even in a lineup with the smaller, less-accomplished corps... and times when someone could fire a cannon across the grandstand and not hit anyone. LOL. 

The show our corps ran in Manville, NJ, was usually pretty well-attended. We always had a good degree of support from the local community, even when we kinda sucked on the competition field. :tongue: 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1