How would you breathe life into Indy?

I read in Unpopular Opinions that a few people think Indy is a bit stale compared to the old traveling Finals model. Indy's not going away, that's the home of drum corps Finals now and probably forever. So I'm curious, if you had unlimited resources, what would you do/want to see happen to make an every-year-Indy-Finals as interesting/exciting for out-of-town travelers to help generate some new excitement?

I started to reply to a few folks in the Unpopular Opinions thread with this question, but thought this might warrant its own topic.

• Like 1

an Ocean.

• Like 6

Unlimited resources?

I'd start with a purpose-built drum corps venue. Give both the fans and the corps the best experience possible, with something that is built with DCI's Finals week specifically in mind. Of course, you would want it to be as close to downtown as possible -- or would you? If the venue is impeccable, more people would want to come multiple times, regardless of where it is located.

• For the fans: Open air, but either covered or able to be covered. Cantilevered and steeper pitched upper decks, to keep as many seats as close to the field as possible. Sound barrier between seating and food/souvie areas. 
  • For the corps: An adjoining indoor, soundproof warmup area, as well as a seamless flush-style entry/exit system. I'll let the current marching experts decide if short-cut grass or newfangled artificial turf is desired.

After that, you can start working on the peripheral events to keep the event fresh, even for multi-year attendees.

• Like 2

Agree with Roy’s stadium demands. There really is a big difference between sitting outside for finals week vs sitting in a dark, air conditioned dome for 3 days

it’d be cool if they could book prelims at an outdoor venue to mix it up a bit

Better swimming, beach options would help as there are not good, outdoor hotel pools. Some better nightlife would be fun. It shuts down early and is more akin to a college town bar scene than a city although the motorcycle parade at the circle is sort of amusing in a strange way, once.

The first few years in Indy I knocked off the tourist stuff, have repeated my favorites, do the tiny zoo every year but now on my 8th year there (I stayed in Bloomington in 08), eh…I’ve shortened the trip and am in and out.  It’s like going to an unpopular relative’s house for Christmas every year. It’s fun enough and nice to see everyone but…

• Like 3

I agree Indianapolis is not the home of unlimited excitement. This is not a problem for me since I am there for the drum corps, but a side trip to the Indiana State Fair is a good option for fans. Most of us who travel arrive on Wednesday. It's conveniently located and there are tons of drum corps fans, judging by the t-shirts. The food is standard fair/carnival fare which is fine as long as you don't have a cholesterol test in the near future. There are interesting exhibits, depending on the schedule good musical acts, and if you're so inclined amusement rides. 

• Like 2

As someone who grew up in Indianapolis, I can understand people's frustrations. I left 10 years ago and only go back to visit family. 

However, I'd recommend Broad Ripple for the nightlife scene.

Also, the Indianapolis Museum of Art is quite nice and has amazing exhibits. (http://www.imamuseum.org/)

Just wish Championships were there when before I left. :sad:

• Like 1

Make Indianapolis either Paris, London, or New York City. :tongue:

• Like 3