How would you breathe life into Indy?

Since finals is in Indy every year we've seen Indy and whatever tourist attractions there is it's already been seen. I've been once but not for DCI. Was there for a convention. It's a nice city but other than shopping and maybe the capital building there really is not much to visit. The nice little canal is cute. I don't know what is outside of the city.

58 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Agree with Roy’s stadium demands. There really is a big difference between sitting outside for finals week vs sitting in a dark, air conditioned dome for 3 days

it’d be cool if they could book prelims at an outdoor venue to mix it up a bit

Better swimming, beach options would help as there are not good, outdoor hotel pools. Some better nightlife would be fun. It shuts down early and is more akin to a college town bar scene than a city although the motorcycle parade at the circle is sort of amusing in a strange way, once.

The first few years in Indy I knocked off the tourist stuff, have repeated my favorites, do the tiny zoo every year but now on my 8th year there (I stayed in Bloomington in 08), eh…I’ve shortened the trip and am in and out.  It’s like going to an unpopular relative’s house for Christmas every year. It’s fun enough and nice to see everyone but…

Wow...that's cool you have gone many times. The last finals I went to was Pasadena. And yes the stadium is not ideal for finals but it was a fun trip. Went to the great Getty museum, Catalina Island, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach. I was busy day and night. I think if I ever went to indy I'd just be in my hotel room waiting to go to the stadium.

Indy is Indy.  It's not gonna change.

I get the boredom.  I also get the numerous benefits of remaining there. 

The city might not be as entertaining as we'd like but the drum corps is still very entertaining.   And that's why we're there in the first place right?  

• Like 5

Not sure there's much to be done. Indy is Indy. If you formerly made DCI championships part of a family vacation in solid tourist destinations like Pasadena or Denver or Orlando or Boston, you're not going to convince your spouse and kids to vacation in Indy more than once a decade.

I think DCI has done the smartest thing - they've improved their theater and streaming options so that people who don't want to go to Indy have reasonable options to enjoy championships.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Indy is Indy.  It's not gonna change.

I get the boredom.  I also get the numerous benefits of remaining there. 

The city might not be as entertaining as we'd like but the drum corps is still very entertaining.   And that's why we're there in the first place right?  

but it's sooooo boring. After prelims I walked to my hotel a half mile away, grabbed a shower and spent five minutes running thru work emails and then wanted to head out. Bar in hotel lobby? Closed. Brewery type place nearby? Closed. SO BORING. It's just incredibly boring. Amazingly so.

As far as how to "make it more exciting"? How about offer up LOS each day to a few corps for open (free) rehearsals? Like the top 2 from the day before get the option. If they turn it down the next two get dibs...

Maybe "pop up" standstill concerts with some of the corps in town at lunch time?

Maybe a "bus tour" where you drop $20 and they ferrie the group around to a couple rehearsal sites?

"DCI Fan" mixers or specials looped into the show with entry with your ticket or ticket stub?

Honestly just thinking about it makes me bored.

I go for the shows - usually 2 of the 3 days depending on my schedule elsewhere. Sometimes I head to Vegas afterward since I'm half way there.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

but it's sooooo boring. After prelims I walked to my hotel a half mile away, grabbed a shower and spent five minutes running thru work emails and then wanted to head out. Bar in hotel lobby? Closed. Brewery type place nearby? Closed. SO BORING. It's just incredibly boring. Amazingly so.

As far as how to "make it more exciting"? How about offer up LOS each day to a few corps for open (free) rehearsals? Like the top 2 from the day before get the option. If they turn it down the next two get dibs...

Maybe "pop up" standstill concerts with some of the corps in town at lunch time?

Maybe a "bus tour" where you drop $20 and they ferrie the group around to a couple rehearsal sites?

"DCI Fan" mixers or specials looped into the show with entry with your ticket or ticket stub?

I go for the shows - usually 2 of the 3 days depending on my schedule elsewhere. Sometimes I head to Vegas afterward since I'm half way there.

ok DCP needs to sponsor a post-show event each night to keep George from being bored!  i nominate @2000Cadet to be event chairman!  @DrumManTx can be the host :-)   

(i guess i'm easily entertained -- i  go to corps rehearsals during the day :ninja: ) 

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

When I was in Indy for a convention and I was staying downtown I thought to myself at 10pm...it's really dead in downtown. And it was a Sat. night.

• Like 1

Just now, corpsband said:

ok DCP needs to sponsor a post-show event each night to keep George from being bored!  i nominate @2000Cadet to be event chairman!  @DrumManTx can be the host :-)   

(i guess i'm easily entertained -- i  go to corps rehearsals during the day :ninja: ) 

Well, a DCP-sponsored post-show meetup/drinkup could actually be a fun idea.

• Like 3