How would you breathe life into Indy?

1 minute ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

We are so past that!  You evidently haven't been to Nashville anytime recently.  Jazz, a great symphony, and just many family-oriented places to visit.  Your description is from 20 years ago.

it's already "there" with Murfreesboro contest less than a half hour car ride away..................provided they don't burn the mosque again.

15 minutes ago, xandandl said:

it's already "there" with Murfreesboro contest less than a half hour car ride away..................provided they don't burn the mosque again.

It hasn't been at Murfreesboro for the past several years.  It is at Vanderbilt. Hope you can all come for a great show!

2 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

It hasn't been at Murfreesboro for the past several years.  It is at Vanderbilt. Hope you can all come for a great show!

yes, two as it was occasionally in the past century.

Cornelius Vanderbilt must be turning in his grave with this Minnie Pearl imitation. You'd never hear"you all" at his home in Centerport, LI or with his cousins at Idlehour on the South Shore of L.I.  He could build his railroads through Nashville but could never fly his seaplanes there. You'd have to bring back the Stockton Commodores from the dead to befit the Vanderbilt show.

3 hours ago, 31rabbit said:

here's what finals week needs: Open Mic solo/ensemble competition.

think about how much musical talent is walking around, between alumni, fans, current performers who've been eliminated. the venue/timing could be tricky, maybe it's an after show thing maybe it's in the afternoon on Friday/Saturday. there are some detail challenges, sure.
 but imagine an open mic solo/ensemble competition. $X to participate each day, nothing high maybe $10 or $20 just to keep the riff-raff out. best judged performer by an 'expert' panel wins the pot. supply the basic instruments, see what happens.

I've wandered into some impromptu soloists in parking lots that were showing off killer stuff, and you know watching drum corps gets all the alumni itching for the spotlight again.

just saying, i'd queue up for this.

I absolutely love this idea. 

When a single city is home to Finals year after year after year it does not matter if it is Indy or any other place, that city will eventually become boring to the DCI fans.  And while there may be a few Finals held elsewhere in the future there are only two ways I can think of to pull Finals 'permanently' away from Indy: 1) The Top Twelve WC Corps performing to a rather empty Lucas Oil stadium on Saturday night (which,um, all you complainers about Indy can make happen!); or 2) After the ten-year signed commitment with Indy DCI moves their headquarters to a different city that will give them a better deal on office space and stadium use.

Edited by Stu

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

When a single city is home to Finals year after year after year it does not matter if it is Indy or any other place, that city will eventually become boring to the DCI fans.  And while there may be a few Finals held elsewhere in the future there are only two ways I can think of to pull Finals 'permanently' away from Indy: 1) The Top Twelve WC Corps performing to a rather empty Lucas Oil stadium on Saturday night (which,um, all you complainers about Indy can make happen!); or 2) After the ten-year signed commitment with Indy DCI moves their headquarters to a different city that will give them a better deal on office space and stadium use.

I can't disagree with this post...Is it 2028 yet?...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Why are we stuck with Indy?  Bring it to Nashville, at the Bridgestone Arena.  Within blocks you can walk to tons and tons of live music venues, great restaurants, the Schermerhorn Symphony Center, The Country Music Hall of Fame, and so many awesome things to see that you can't visit it all. 

As much as I love Nashville and Bridgestone (I'll be there tomorrow night for the Predators game), it wouldn't work. It's too small. Nissan Stadium is plenty big, but there won't be anywhere for corps to stay. I hate the show at Vandy. Such a horrid stadium. Hell, I don't even know if I'll be going to a show this year. My trip to Sydney is draining my funds dry, plus I'm going to the English Premier League match (Go MC!) at Nissan Stadium the day after the Vandy show. 

Indy suuuuuucks. I've been twice and really didn't want to go back that second time, but I ended up going on a whim. There has to be somewhere else for finals. Anywhere else! 

But it it does sound like some people need to visit Nashville. It's not the city you think it is. 

Edited by phd-student-TTU
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, xandandl said:

Oh please, not Country "Music" about who's divorced, why it's raining, the depressive side of life for the depressed, drunk, and down and outs. Drum Corps has already suffered enough already. 

10 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

We are so past that!  You evidently haven't been to Nashville anytime recently.  Jazz, a great symphony, and just many family-oriented places to visit.  Your description is from 20 years ago.

He is so right!!! Nashville is GREAT for Jazz and symphonic music. I loved it when I went for a visit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Here's a thought. Move finals to East Rutherford. The City is 15 minutes away and it NEVER sleeps!!!

I hear ya.... if you get bored in NYC, you don't have a pulse!!!  LOL

Don't know about MetLife, but at the old Giants Stadium the "echo effect" was almost like an indoor stadium, at least to the performers on the field.

Every time we did a show there, the last words from our staff as we entered the field were "Remember to get those horn angles up OVER the wall!!!"  :tongue:

Because without that extra lift, the sound would hit that front wall, bounce right back at us, and around and around.  Led to some interesting performances.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1