How would you breathe life into Indy?

13 hours ago, 31rabbit said:

here's what finals week needs: Open Mic solo/ensemble competition.

think about how much musical talent is walking around, between alumni, fans, current performers who've been eliminated. the venue/timing could be tricky, maybe it's an after show thing maybe it's in the afternoon on Friday/Saturday. there are some detail challenges, sure.
 but imagine an open mic solo/ensemble competition. $X to participate each day, nothing high maybe $10 or $20 just to keep the riff-raff out. best judged performer by an 'expert' panel wins the pot. supply the basic instruments, see what happens.

I've wandered into some impromptu soloists in parking lots that were showing off killer stuff, and you know watching drum corps gets all the alumni itching for the spotlight again.

just saying, i'd queue up for this.

This is pretty much how the DCA I&E show got its start back in 1989.

It started as a few people challenging a few other people to a brass/percussion throwdown at a high school up the street from the stadium in Allentown, after DCA Prelims the Saturday of Labor Day weekend.  Word got out, and more folks showed up with their instruments. Made for a fun evening, and the event grew from there.

• Like 1

It's been a few years since I've been out to Finals, but the last time I was, it seemed as though DCI was really making strides in featuring a lot of other drum corps events (Drumline Battle/Soundsport) throughout town that gave us fans other things to do during the 'downtime' from competition.  I'm sure this has a lot to do with why they re-signed with Indy for another 10 years, and would be a major consideration for any possible relocation in the future - areas and spaces around town to feature these groups.

It's not the most hopping city in the country, but I can't imagine what people are expecting Indy to provide.  Unless you're hosting it in NYC or LA, any town is going to get stale after 10 years.

It seems we might be looking at 2 things. Some are interested in more drum corps related / spin-off activities (which have increased a bit over the years). Others are looking for more interesting non-drum corps distractions. Think Super Bowl. When the Super Bowl comes to town (any town) there are huge temporary hubs of activities. Many of which have NOTHING to do with football. Multiple concert stages with local/regional bands, beer tents, Zip lines, go karts, etc. Vendor tents. Freebie novelty handouts and promo gear. 

I guess if I had an endless budget, I would pay for establishing a similar temporary week-long entertainment and information hub. Adding shuttles to reasonable rehearsal sites (many corps are now housed 1.5 or even 3 hours from downtown). Shuttles or guides to local interests. Even if those things not related to drum corps (Children's Museum, State Fair, IMA, Eiteljorg, etc). But continue to increase the related activities. Supporting connections to PAS http://rhythmdiscoverycenter.org/ . Add a remote extension of Rhythm Discovery Center to my temp activity hub. Partner with IMA to have an exhibit on the artistic history of the activity. Maybe a temp art gallery exhibit.

This could probably go on and on as I am thinking off the top of my head. I am about an hour and fifteen minute drive from Indy. So I don't need this stuff to get me there. And I probably wouldn't even partake in much of this, even if my millions of dollars where funding it. For me, it is about the people. I spend my time catching up with friends. Very close friends that have all convened in Indianapolis for the best annual family reunion in the world. 

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Maybe a "bus tour" where you drop $20 and they ferrie the group around to a couple rehearsal sites?

This is an idea that should receive some serious consideration.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 2

To be fair, the Sound Sport and Drumline battels have grown greatly in participation and attendance so DCI is offering some musical day time acts and they are good fun but they both run on the same day, Saturday so perhaps over 2 days, maybe 3 if it keeps growing but that only goes so far

I recommend Holiday Word as a good side trip, a small amusement park with really good roller coasters about 2 ½ hours away, they also have a water park. A bit too far for a show day but something to do, maybe coordinate a Wednesday, Drum corps days for the fans and open class corps?

DCM use to do some sort of corps games each year, stuff like corps doing tug or wars against each other, might be something there. Could see a public corps picnic that involved those, sell tickets to fans at a price that would cover a marching member. Maybe have some of the I and E winners preform

I do agree with Mr. Dixon, it’s the night time, after the show when you’re hyped up and there’s nothing to do that it really hits you as boring Indy. Maybe rent a smaller venue, bar for an DCI after party and see if there are any DCI associated bands to play, staff bands would be cool too

A lot of the hotels, bars and such seem to miss the memo from DCI and close early or are  not staffed to handle the after show crowds. They usually get it together by Saturday

I’ve not done Broad Ripple, how far is that away, do they have shuttle from Downtown? Is it open late enough to make the trip?

What about masters classes and/or music education seminars (for students and teachers) throughout the week, mornings before the shows?

Equipment truck race at the speedway.

& make it so position finished impact the owning Corps' semi-finals score.  

Example - For every place the truck finished, 0.1 is deducted from the semi-finals score.  First place truck has 0.0 deducted; second place 0.1 deducted, third 0.2 & so on.  Could make things sporty in the 10-14 place semi-finals Corps.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

This unlikely satisfies any bored folks. But here it is:

http://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/6-us-cities-to-watch-in-2017

1. Another Steak n' Shake, so you don't have to wait forever after the night's events are over to get a milkshake.
  2. If it is staying Indy, then every 5 or so years, pick a different place to have Finals, and then back to Indy until the next rotation.
  3. Let the winner pick the host site for the next year's Finals.  I know, I know, the logistics, reserving a venue, etc. are all going to be brought up, but this would definitely make it interesting.  Imagine BD wins it for the millionth time in the last million and 1 years, and they are like screw it, Finals in Amsterdam next year!!!  I'm there!

23 hours ago, flammaster said:

Move it do California.

For possibly the first time ever, I agree with flammaster!  :sigh: