How would you breathe life into Indy?

8 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

He is so right!!! Nashville is GREAT for Jazz and symphonic music. I loved it when I went for a visit.

The Nashville Cats who fused Jazz with Bluegrass are GREAT: Mark O'Connor, Tony Rice, Bela Fleck, Jerry Douglas, etc...

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

I guess if I had an endless budget, I would pay for establishing a similar temporary week-long entertainment and information hub. Adding shuttles to reasonable rehearsal sites (many corps are now housed 1.5 or even 3 hours from downtown). Shuttles or guides to local interests. Even if those things not related to drum corps (Children's Museum, State Fair, IMA, Eiteljorg, etc). But continue to increase the related activities. Supporting connections to PAS http://rhythmdiscoverycenter.org/ . Add a remote extension of Rhythm Discovery Center to my temp activity hub. Partner with IMA to have an exhibit on the artistic history of the activity. Maybe a temp art gallery exhibit.

Best idea in the thread so far, imo. Turn it into the marching arts version of the Kentucky Derby festival, although it probably only needs to be one week at the most. Concerts on Monday, prelims on Tuesday, workshops/seminars/ Wednesday, semis on Thursday, more concerts, along with soundsport and drumline battle Friday, and finals Saturday.

I think if bars and restaurants would stay open late so fans could hanged out and get food and drink after the shows this would make a huge difference for all fans.

This was a big thing for me when I attended in 2011. I will be back this year but will be on staff with a corps this time. My experience will not be the same as the regular attendee.

how far is the Indianapolis conservatory of music from the Stadium..I recall that Freddie Hubbard was a student there

Something during at least one of the post-show evenings aimed at a late-night happy or social hour for fans would be great for me, anyway. On many other occasions Indy pops up tents or makes use of the Pan Am Plaza for gatherings. Would be great to have some drinks and deconstruct the shows with a variety of fans.

Alternative, it's probably possible for some group to organize an experimental event like a late-night Happy Hour at one of the bars. If a crowd would attend, the bar might go for it.

And there's also this line of thinking: The bar and restaurant managers aren't - typically - stupid about their businesses. If they saw a genuine demand for late night bar traffic while DCI finals are running, they'd probably like to take advantage of it. Any chance that, despite the comments here, there really isn't as much demand as we imagine for activities starting after the performances? After all, that's a lot of fans + families with things to do other than pay for food and drinks. For regular local late night, there's Mass Ave and, in recent years, Fountain Square areas (plus the aforementioned Broad Ripple) that serve some of that need.

Last summer I parked across from the stadium, but in year's past I parked at a parking garage about a half mile away from the stadium. I thought I passed a lot of bars and restaurants open on the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. They catered to a younger crowd. I can't say I decided to experience the night life. I get in my seat as soon as doors open each day, leave after the last scores are announced, and as long as the drive thru at McDonald's or Shake n Steak is open, I'm happy.

On another note, I do remember a couple who sat near me last year talking about how they spent the rainy Saturday at the antique malls in the area. Those near the city had "tourist prices" but those a bit outside had great prices and selections. So if you're into Fiesta Ware, roadside kitsch, or Louis XV chairs, maybe Indianapolis is your version of Disney. Of course if you're flying, you may have some difficulties  putting an armoire in the overhead luggage compartments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

Something during at least one of the post-show evenings aimed at a late-night happy or social hour for fans would be great for me, anyway. On many other occasions Indy pops up tents or makes use of the Pan Am Plaza for gatherings. Would be great to have some drinks and deconstruct the shows with a variety of fans.

Alternative, it's probably possible for some group to organize an experimental event like a late-night Happy Hour at one of the bars. If a crowd would attend, the bar might go for it.

And there's also this line of thinking: The bar and restaurant managers aren't - typically - stupid about their businesses. If they saw a genuine demand for late night bar traffic while DCI finals are running, they'd probably like to take advantage of it. Any chance that, despite the comments here, there really isn't as much demand as we imagine for activities starting after the performances? After all, that's a lot of fans + families with things to do other than pay for food and drinks. For regular local late night, there's Mass Ave and, in recent years, Fountain Square areas (plus the aforementioned Broad Ripple) that serve some of that need.

Don't forget that the LOUDEST gathering of motorcycles in the Midwest, right around fountain square.  Unbelievable crowds, packed bars, long waits for food if you can find it...  

Hotel bars are the best option and, if you want that experience, you'll need to pay up to stay at one of the downtown hotels and hope there's food nearby.

13 minutes ago, garfield said:

Don't forget that the LOUDEST gathering of motorcycles in the Midwest, right around fountain square.  Unbelievable crowds, packed bars, long waits for food if you can find it...  

Hotel bars are the best option and, if you want that experience, you'll need to pay up to stay at one of the downtown hotels and hope there's food nearby.

I take it Sturgis is not in the midwest?