How would you breathe life into Indy?

12 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Hire a company to provide tours of corps rehearsal sites.  At least those who allow visitors during finals week.

Not a bad idea. Something for DCI to explore to determine interest, costs, logistics, etc  anyway, imo. As for preseason Corps rehearsals though, It'd probably be easier for such tour busses to get thru the gates of Area 51, ( or the gates of hell ) than to get thru to a Corps rehearsal site, Ghost... haha!

Edited by BRASSO

I was told by some locals in Indy years ago when I asked about the lack of nightlife that most of the bars, etc rely mostly on the events crowd, since the downtown population is so small. It would explain why there isn't much going on very late.

Somebody mentioned " eliminate retreats " or at least " speed up the retreats ". Its doable. What about we do this at retreats to speed things up ? Might this work, if we had all the Corps and their auxillary Guards be required to do this at retreats ?

Edited by BRASSO

On 4/24/2017 at 9:15 PM, ajlemm said:

I was told by some locals in Indy years ago when I asked about the lack of nightlife that most of the bars, etc rely mostly on the events crowd, since the downtown population is so small. It would explain why there isn't much going on very late.

Sounds a lot like Baltimore.

The city's been making an effort to get more people to live downtown.  I read recently that it's starting to pay off, at least a bit... younger people moving into buildings that once were home to offices/retail, creating sort of a "neighborhood" feel to the business district.  IMO, it's badly needed energy for a city which has seen its ups and downs, to put it mildly.

• 2 months later...

Remember this thread?

The IndyStar online today has this piece on the 12 best downtown holes-in-the-wall. Some cool places for drinks and food (and where your conversations will not be sung or amped).

http://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/best-lists/2017/07/26/12-downtown-holes-in-the-wall-you-should-quit-ignoring/464860001/

• Like 1

On 4/28/2017 at 2:11 PM, BRASSO said:

Somebody mentioned " eliminate retreats " or at least " speed up the retreats ". Its doable. What about we do this at retreats to speed things up ? Might this work, if we had all the Corps and their auxillary Guards be required to do this at retreats ?

Does this remind anyone else of 2007 Phantom regiment closer?

I haven't been to Indy since 2006 (still had the RCA Dome) as a member, so I have very little familiarity with the area and its layout.* That said, here are my submissions:

- If there isn't some sort of a beer garden outside the stadium, there should be.

- One thing I loved about DCA -- before Rochester's noise ordinance killed it -- were the "blow down" concerts by all the corps after finals retreat. Maybe have a staging area outside the stadium where non-finalist corps can let loose and do a relaxed non-uniform musical run of their show one last time? Doesn't have to be mandatory: if a corps doesn't want to deal with the logistical headache, they can opt out.

*Most of my Indy memories are fond, mainly because of the massage chairs at Circle Centre Mall's Brookstone store.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
language

On 4/28/2017 at 5:23 PM, Fran Haring said:

Sounds a lot like Baltimore.

Indy makes Baltimore look like VEGAS

The best thing DCI could do "late night" is have a liaison work with local business and the city government to encourage businesses to stay open two hours past the conclusion of LOS events on Thursday-Saturday with extended hours of operations. Within the few block area around the stadium and the main hotels. I would imagine they already do something like that after Colts games and/or large conventions. Might not work but they could try

It's there because it is cheap to fly into and stay out, they get the stadium for a small fee, housing for DCI and the local schools will house the corps

It's certainly not there because of the vibrant downtown - it's one of the most boring places I've ever been

• Like 3