How would you breathe life into Indy?

6 hours ago, mjoakes said:

We all know there are tough logistics and costs for DCI to juggle and manage. They won't eliminate unhappiness regardless of what they do.

Though Indy is great for me (and not just because it is close), I'd love a chance to attend a big, late-season show in the West. Even an occasional championship. What a great nod to BD, SCV and others that would be.

I'd love to see DCI come back to the West Coast. In my opinion, it jump-started a decade of drum corps growth in the West. More corps, more activity and more interest. It's what they call "low hanging fruit" in the sales field. Would be nice if DCI thought like salespeople instead of whatever it is now. They're happy with small, incremental amounts of growth. They still haven't had a crowd at Indy that's compared to the attendance at the Rose Bowl in '07. Just sayin'.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BDCorno said:

I'd love to see DCI come back to the West Coast. In my opinion, it jump-started a decade of drum corps growth in the West. More corps, more activity and more interest. It's what they call "low hanging fruit" in the sales field. Would be nice if DCI thought like salespeople instead of whatever it is now. They're happy with small, incremental amounts of growth. They still haven't had a crowd at Indy that's compared to the attendance at the Rose Bowl in '07. Just sayin'.

Hmmm...are there turf fields out west they could use?

Given how much prop-age and tarp-age there is now, I'm guessing that the folks at the Rose Bowl (and Levi's, etc.) might not want that coming out onto their field in August. In July, they have time to fix any damage that might occur before football season...but perhaps not in August. And I don't know what (for example) the Bluecoats' stage might do to the grass (or what they think it would do, regardless if it actually did).

I'm pretty sure if they did it in Santa Clara they would have to play to the visitor's side, a la College Park in 2000. If my memory serves, the vast majority of the home side is luxury boxes...and just checked, and outside of luxury boxes there's only about 1.5 decks of actual seating. Luxury boxes are great...but perhaps not the best for hearing drum corps. And the visitor's side is the one that's had trouble with heat exhaustion during NFL preseason games in August.

Seattle could be doable. I'd actually be worried about the sound thing there, as they specifically designed it to keep sound in and bounce around and make a racket for intimidation purposes, which might not lend itself to clarity of melody, etc. But overhangs are nice for catching the sound, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All that said, I'm guessing that if the west coast became a regular host site, attendance wouldn't necessarily stay at the same level at 2007. But it'd be decently sized, at least. The question then becomes cost-benefit analysis.

Of the various options, I'd probably personally lean toward two in Indy, one in Denver, for regularity/predictability. Indy years as is currently, Denver years either turn west at San Antonio and have regionals in Pasadena and Palo Alto.

But, as ever, I'm mostly just bs'ing this and talking generally out of my hind-quarters, so what do I know.

Edited by ftwdrummer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BDCorno said:

I loved it out there! 

• 3 months later...
On 4/24/2017 at 4:52 PM, chris7997 said:

You pay extra for a "fan experience."  DCI could set this up. What would that entail?  

Say you are a fan of the Cavaliers.  They are your corps.   If you pay the premium fan experience for the Cavaliers, you get ...(included, but not limited to)

1.  Free Cavaliers gift bag, including t-shirts

2.  Cheer them on in the tunnel as they come out onto the field.  Be RIGHT there near the line. 

3.  Sit up front with the instructional staff during the show 

4.  Take selfies with some of the players after a show

5.   You congratulate them on Finals night at the end of the awards ceremony.  

It would be marketed as the "total fan experience.

DCI would love it because they'd have the opportunity to make more $$$. 

Looks like you win...