DCI Partners with FloMarching......

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Yeah right.. thats when lawyers get into the mix and organizatioins wind up paying thru the nose on legal fees to prove the so called " undeliverables " were not delivered as promised, or to try and wiggle out of the multi year deal. This is why it would have been FAR more preferable  for DCI to have negotiated a one year deal.

Unless it's a provider who thinks it can deliver requirements at a substantially reduced cost if given sufficient confidence that spending capital will be rewarded over time.

The alternative is to pay full price for assured deliverables.

DCI will likely always choose the lower cost option with sufficient confidence and a put option.

32 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Well from my sources...this is a SLAP in the face to our International viewers....so DCI...please REMOVE the "I" in D C I...as they will not be able to view the streams...

To be honest the last couple of years have not been "International friendly" with only live streaming and no DVR / On Demand functionality. Staying up til 3 or 4am is OK a couple of times a year but having to do it every weekend is not worth the money! I know we're not the target audience so it's not a massive issue in the grander scheme of things. Guess we'll have to live on YouTube opportunism and umm'ing and ahh'ing about purchasing finals for the next few years

Well, at least there's a Roku app now. Figures, I just built that whole server and connected it to the TV just for the drum corps season (but don't tell my wife, I said whole home file sharing was super important).

• Like 1

The way I see it, Flo is mostly okay. They've done a great job at becoming kind of an ESPN for marching arts with the articles and featurettes they put out. The only problem (and it's a big one) I see with them is the streaming quality. Video picture wise it's great, but angle choice is not always the best, which they can learn from by hiring the right people and simply having more time in the circuit. Also their mic's have had a tendency to not be amazing, but I'm assuming they now get all the equipment DCI has been using. So, my thoughts here are this: skeptical but I also wouldn't be shocked if they come out guns blazing.

• Like 1

Just now, brassdude6171 said:

The way I see it, Flo is mostly okay. They've done a great job at becoming kind of an ESPN for marching arts with the articles and featurettes they put out. The only problem (and it's a big one) I see with them is the streaming quality. Video picture wise it's great, but angle choice is not always the best, which they can learn from by hiring the right people and simply having more time in the circuit. Also their mic's have had a tendency to not be amazing, but I'm assuming they now get all the equipment DCI has been using. So, my thoughts here are this: skeptical but I also wouldn't be shocked if they come out guns blazing.

I'm all for that.  I want their coverage to be great.  

And I wouldn't say the video is great at all, with DCI it was pretty high quality 1080p HD.  FloMarching's best is compressed 720p "HD" that looks more like a mediocre youtube video.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ouooga said:

I haven't used FloMarching, but I've heard horror stories. Two questions:

1) Yes or No, will I be able to stream live shows? I get quality might be a concern, but does it legitimately just shut off and/or say no service sometimes?

2) When I buy a UFC or Boxing stream or PPV, I'm buying the main event. If the main event won't play, for whatever reason, I get my money back (and have done so before, UFC's Roku app sucks). Is there any kind of guarantee on drum corps streaming?

1. Yes sometimes it just shuts off. Other times the video gets extremely choppy as if you were trying to watch HD video with a slow connection. Other times it will get stuck and keep repeating a segment of the stream from hours before. When the video actually does work the audio is often out of sync. If by some miracle they're synced up it's likely it will sound like you're listening through a soup can.

2. Highly unlikely since there is no PPV option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beckham said:

When the video actually does work the audio is often out of sync.

Well, it's not like having synced audio and visual is important in drum corps. /s

I'll reserve official judgement until June, but as of now I'm really concerned. My annual drum corps finals party might just be a bunch of angry people yelling at a really big TV this year. :(

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

Unless it's a provider who thinks it can deliver requirements at a substantially reduced cost if given sufficient confidence that spending capital will be rewarded over time.

The alternative is to pay full price for assured deliverables.

DCI will likely always choose the lower cost option with sufficient confidence and a put option.

Flo has not earned DCI's " confidence " however.  Or should not have. FloMarching positively blows at live streaming.. or at least they have. Their WGI live stream telecasts were amaturish. Have you even seen Flo's work ?  DCI did not choose Flo because of its history of quality delivery of live streaming of events. Thats for dam sure. And fans care most about the quality levels of its subscription live stream. The " multi year " component of this, will make the partnership even more perplexing for DCI fans, imo

Edited by BRASSO

Last post on the subject for me for now, promise. (1) After watching some of their recent lot posts, they seem to have fixed their microphone problem (could just be temporary). The sound in these lot videos is awesome. Very clear. (2) I'm guessing that since FloMarching is apparently working with Tresona and they've also taken the marching arts by storm recently, they must be pretty well off financially at this point. So better equipment and tech people on the way?