DCI Partners with FloMarching......

39 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

If they end up being alright quality I will be so glad to eat some crow, my own foot, a limb........

yeah.. nobody said they won't improve live stream quality. Its possible they could improve their delivery,.But they signed this multi year deal with DCI, so DCI know what their rep is, and Flo probably knows the DCI fan base is small, compliant, and so Flo really has no incentives to deliver any more in quality to this small base in what they have previously delivered in quality to others. So its on that note, to become optimistic Flo can deliver better quality, that we are compelled to dismiss history as our guide with the currently future unknowable. AND its OUR money that is at risk on the subscription quality here.  DCI is not about to enact refund policies wily nilly to live stream subscribers this summer because DCI and Flo have reportedly cut a wonderful multi year deal for themselves this week.

Edited by BRASSO

17 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Has Flomarching ever given a sensible response about why they only accept US subscriptions? 

From an ecommerce POV it's trivial to accept non-us payments.  

In this case, DCI is giving answers on its Facebook page that refer to the situation with streaming rights. The rights that they have are only for the U.S.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't used as leverage by Tresona. 

1 hour ago, awunderlich said:

I'll most likely get the subscription for a day, watch the shows and shut it down. Regardless of cost, I think by removing the ala cart feature as well as the cost options we'd had in the past makes me really think about not restarting the subscription in the summer. 

That's what I did.  Seems pretty good so far.  I'm watching on roku with their app.  Haven't lost feed at all.  I have a really good router. Picture is great. 

27 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

In this case, DCI is giving answers on its Facebook page that refer to the situation with streaming rights. The rights that they have are only for the U.S.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't used as leverage by Tresona. 

lol and the information link goes to a FloMarching page that just says sorry it's not available to regions outside the US.   so informative! 

another little factoid.  flosports started with wrestling and can't even provide quality service to that market.  apparently they didnt' forsee the demand for a big match between PSU vs OSU.  

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/52221-apology-from-flosports-ceo-co-founder-martin-floreani

they offered two months free service as compensation or a refund and cancellation of service.

if you're going to be the exclusive provider of live event coverage (for any sport) ,  you'd best not fail in providing the coverage. there's no  suitable way to compensate a user for missing it.  

there are plenty of providers who've "figured out" how to make live streaming successfully scale.  Flo doesn't seem to have figured it out yet for their largest customer base.  it's not "hard" to figure out any more -- there are plenty of vendors who provide streaming that will successfully and transparently scale.  you just have to be willing to pay for it (which means keeping your capacity WAY ahead of demand).    the LAST place you want to skimp is infrastructure for your core service.   

things do indeed look bleak. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, corpsband said:

if you're going to be the exclusive provider of live event coverage (for any sport) ,  you'd best not fail in providing the coverage. there's no  suitable way to compensate a user for missing it.  

In any other situation I'd demand my money back..I must have a soft spot for drumcorps because last season my movie theater messed up on the live performance...I never got to see Boston because the theater personnel didn't realize they needed to start the program or whatever back-office setup was needed...I left no saying a word...my friend who was a non-drum corps person complained to the management...guess he realized how disapointed I was that night...haha

Edited by Liahona

Also, a different angle to this news. Is this solidifying marching band as a sport, now that the highest level of marching arts is now exclusively covered by a sports outlet? :thumbup:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lindap said:

I'm in an unavailable region, registered, didn't pay and all I get is emails every other day. I am not amused. Oh sigh. I'll try. Before goodbye. Oh my.

I can ##### all I want about the quality but I don't have much to complain about when there are people like you and others who won't even get to watch.  If I got one wish to improve FloMarching I'd want people outside the US to be able to watch.  

Here's to hoping they can get that worked out by the time summer rolls around.  

I got WGI today.  it's all hi cam.  I wonder if it's going to have multi cam for semi's and finals?

Every drumline is impressive so far.  Pulse and Music City have to coolest shows but Broken City and RCC have the cleanest drums.

• Like 2