DCI Partners with FloMarching......

20 hours ago, Liahona said:

You are deluding yourself that if you think a company that has been able to get along with a mediocre product up til now will all of a sudden come out with a spectacular one...

No, I hear they're going to "pivot" by the time they reach the 100-day mark.

(Which, if we start the count from the first competition, means they'll have all the kinks worked out by Sep. 30.)

Is the streaming only in the U.S. or only in North America? Wondering about whether fans of Les Stentors from Quebec.

Obviously it's hopeless for fans of any European corps taking part in DC(I?).

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No, I hear they're going to "pivot" by the time they reach the 100-day mark.

(Which, if we start the count from the first competition, means they'll have all the kinks worked out by Sep. 30.)

just thinking this over a bit more.

there should be good stats from DCI for both the fannetwork and dcilive to help Flo project the potential audience size for the events this summer.  

as others have pointed out,  DCI is a bit unusual in that they were running VOD services betore turning to Flo.

i still doubt things will go well .  but at least there's reason for a small sliver of hope.

(and I'm completely ignoring the challenge of successfully producing the live events.  very different than covering typical sports events)

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

(and I'm completely ignoring the challenge of successfully producing the live events.  very different than covering typical sports events)

So besides watching WGI and BOA on Flo......, I have also watched several track and field events.  At WGI, there's one camera view, up high.  Made me wonder if they know how to do multi-cams.  Well, at the T & F events, they have multiple cameramen on the field so that for the 800 M dash, they can follow it and pass it around the track.  I'm a hopeful kind of person and I'm hoping that the DCI folks will insist on some close-up cameras and not just a one-view-that's-all-you get.  I do believe they have the capability to do that. 

1 minute ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

So besides watching WGI and BOA on Flo......, I have also watched several track and field events.  At WGI, there's one camera view, up high.  Made me wonder if they know how to do multi-cams.  Well, at the T & F events, they have multiple cameramen on the field so that for the 800 M dash, they can follow it and pass it around the track.  I'm a hopeful kind of person and I'm hoping that the DCI folks will insist on some close-up cameras and not just a one-view-that's-all-you get.  I do believe they have the capability to do that. 

the challenges aren't so much in doing multi-cam (although directing the multi-cam is a real bear).  imo the biggest challenge is getting the audio right.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Is the streaming only in the U.S. or only in North America? Wondering about whether fans of Les Stentors from Quebec.

Obviously it's hopeless for fans of any European corps taking part in DC(I?).

VPNs may get around the problem completely, but that is a great question.

20 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Does anyone remember the Buffalo fiasco a few years back with a camera crew that didn't know what the heck the were doing with multi-cam?....oh boyie! ...lol

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Does anyone remember the Buffalo fiasco a few years back with a camera crew that didn't know what the heck the were doing with multi-cam?....oh boyie! ...lol

Tis was the first thing I thought of.

• Like 2