Pick one show you are glad you saw live

Hmmm.....

Picking one....2014 Blue Devils. That might be the best performed, designed, and written show I have ever seen. I saw them at Rutgers later in the season. I know a 2.3 spread from 1st to 2nd is huge at that level, but even at that it seemed artificially small. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, garfield said:

Clearly, you were not in Bloomington in 2008.  :sigh:

All others pale in comparison to THAT crowd response.

My first was 1973, too.

I actually was there and even though that was and is in my top 5, for what I heard in Arrowhead - known to be the loudest outdoor stadium in the US, from the last 90 seconds of Malagueña to the cutoff was absolutely the loudest ever for my ears.  Might have been because of where I was - bottom of the first hanging section on the 45.  With the crowd going crazy, begging for more sound, the screamer section kicked and the rest of the corps responded with the patented Madison stance, there was no way you could hear yourself.  I was on the lower deck on the 30 for Phantom in Bloomington, so I was probably a little skewed in what I could hear, but I could still hear.  The announcement of the second place corps was not as big either, again to where I was, but you are correct in the emotion that very similarly displayed.  I was a lot younger in Ithaca, NY when the Muchachos took over the stands and the field in the 74 finals, and being only 16, it was a much impressive setting to me despite being on the left side 25.  When the bugle called announced them and the audience started revving up with Ole cheers and the stands erupting into, east, east, east, it was a mad house and I got caught up in it.  It's still the single most crazy audience I have been.  You almost couldn't hear because everyone was cheering everything.  I went on a tour the next year to Europe with the US Collegiate Wind Band, which was based at Purdue University and got to know one of the guys in the snare line and he said most of them couldn't remember much from the show.  He said it went by quickly, but was like being in a slow motion dream, he said they felt like they were looking at themselves as they played and marched.  It's still the biggest placement jump (from prelims to finals) ever in DCI history.  I was already hooked on Drum Corps, but got the fever with that year!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MikeD said:

Hmmm.....

Picking one....2014 Blue Devils. That might be the best performed, designed, and written show I have ever seen. I saw them at Rutgers later in the season. I know a 2.3 spread from 1st to 2nd is huge at that level, but even at that it seemed artificially small. 

Still like Star of Indiana in 93 as the best conceived, performed, designed, written.  That would be a winning today.  So far ahead of its time, it was incredible.  I thought they got screwed that night, and ultimately DCI lost out on some great future shows.  The activity wasn't ready to move that far forward that quickly.  I think BDs show of 2014 was incredible and one of the finest, but, just my opinion, Stars' show that year was just light years ahead.

• Like 1

There are tons of shows I am glad I saw. So I'll go with something a little less serious, yet serious. :)

I am still thankful today that I saw Velvet Knights live in 1992 at DCI Finals and Semi Finals.  Unreal show, great fun, lots of laughs, and some excellent performing in all captions. And high tops for shoes.  YES!!!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, garfield said:

Clearly, you were not in Bloomington in 2008.  :sigh:

All others pale in comparison to THAT crowd response.

My first was 1973, too.

I agree with that, the back and forth between the crowd and regiment makes it my pick too

Plus the added bit of nostalgia, last outdoor, no synth finals

• Like 2

Bloomington 08, hands downs. That entire week, and especially that night, was absolute magic.

I'm dating myself but I'll go with the first season in the zoot suits for the Bridgemen. The crowd reactions (ranging from delight to shock to general WTF) were worth the price of admission. And the corps was pretty good as a bonus.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Red Dragons said:

I'm dating myself but I'll go with the first season in the zoot suits for the Bridgemen. The crowd reactions (ranging from delight to shock to general WTF) were worth the price of admission. And the corps was pretty good as a bonus.

That would make my short list too. I was at their home show in early June. What am amazing event that was when they came on to the field. A lot of oohs, ahhhs and sad to say...booos.

I put this show in the thread about shows you wish you could see again for the first time.  :bored:

Edited by MikeD
Added some stuff
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2017 at 1:11 PM, MikeD said:

Hmmm.....

I hear ya.... was wondering all season how any corps could be two points or more ahead of Bluecoats, Crown, Cadets, etc... until I saw BD at the quarterfinals show. "Okay... THAT'S how!!!" LOL. They were truly on another level, one I had never quite seen before, and may never see again. 

• Like 1