Mini Texas tour advice

Hi all - I apologise in advance for treating the forum something like TripAdvisor, but anyway...

Due to "employment issues" I'm likely to have a few spare weeks and quite a bit of "disposable income" available in July. Being UK based and having not done a DCI trip since California 2007 I'm umm'ing and ahhing about a possible personal mini "Texas Tour" in July. Potentially flying to Houston Thurs 20th, attending the show on the 21st, then doing San Antonio Regional on the 22nd, meeting friends and (what be then ex) work mates in Austin on the Sunday and then heading home (i'm guessing again from Houston) on the Monday

Just looking for any help / advice / recommendations esp on accommodation / transport / parking locally for the shows as if I did this I guess I would be renting a car for the duration. It's quite a scary thought doing it all my own for the first time as well! |

Cheers
-G- 

I find flight prices in and out of San Antonio rather inflated due to the presence of 7 major military installations and personal who get first priority even on commercial flights. Therefore I fly cheaper in and out of Austin and pay Amtrak the 13 dollars each way for the train ride between the two cities. This may be helpful to you in meeting your friends for Sunday. The train station is at the end of the parking lot for the Alamodome. The Staybridge Suite and the Red Roof Inn are also bookends for the parking lots in SAT. San Antonio is a walkable city if one is prepared for the sun, humidity, and heat. Airport is well out of town. Houston will be as humid as London but much hotter. Coming from the UK to Texas, order your 50+ sunscreen by the case load. JMO and yes, I do get the senior citizen Amtrak discount.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Parking for the Houston show and the San Antonio show won't really be an issue.

The Houston show is at the Berry Center which is jointly operated by a school district and the local community college with a parking lot more than big enough for everyone attending to park at the stadium.  I can't remember if they charge to park for that show.

San Antonio has the Alamodome parking lot. They do charge for that (I think $15?  Might be $20) but space usually isn't a problem.

Since I've lived almost all of my 34 years on this planet in Houston, some general advice getting around here:

Stay off of Highway 290 between the hours of 4 PM and 8 PM as though your life depended on it.  Depending on where you're coming from your GPS is probably going to want to route you through it to get to the Berry Center.  Do not listen.  Make it give you an alternate route.  You *will* get stuck for at least an hour on that god-forsaken concrete nightmare if you are on it any time after 4 PM.

Also, the main highway off of Bush Airport is Beltway 8.  It is a toll road that costs $1.75 per tolling station.  That takes some people by surprise.  Be prepared to pay 3 or 4 of those on your way to your hotel.

There are plenty of hotels within 10 miles of the Berry Center.  You shouldn't have any trouble.  I recommend getting something in the Willowbrook area (Highway 249 at Beltway 8).  Lots of hotel options there, tons of dining options and other things and it's very close to the Berry Center area.  Plus I live in that area so you could always drop me a line if you have a question or anything :laughing:

In fact, feel free to drop me a PM.  My wife and I are going to that show and might be able to save you a trip/toll/gas if you're amenable.

Edited by geluf

As for accommodations in San Antonio, stay as close to the Alamo Dome as possible. If the hotel says it's on the Riverwalk - verify. I have stayed at locations from one to the other. The Staybridge and Best Western Suites are closest to the Dome, but not near restaurants or the Riverwalk. My preference for where to stay has come down to three hotels, the Marriott River Center, the Grand Hyatt San Antonio and the Hilton Placio del Rio.

Have fun!  San Antonio is a great event.

23 hours ago, geluf said:

Parking for the Houston show and the San Antonio show won't really be an issue.

The Houston show is at the Berry Center which is jointly operated by a school district and the local community college with a parking lot more than big enough for everyone attending to park at the stadium.  I can't remember if they charge to park for that show.

San Antonio has the Alamodome parking lot. They do charge for that (I think $15?  Might be $20) but space usually isn't a problem.

Since I've lived almost all of my 34 years on this planet in Houston, some general advice getting around here:

Stay off of Highway 290 between the hours of 4 PM and 8 PM as though your life depended on it.  Depending on where you're coming from your GPS is probably going to want to route you through it to get to the Berry Center.  Do not listen.  Make it give you an alternate route.  You *will* get stuck for at least an hour on that god-forsaken concrete nightmare if you are on it any time after 4 PM.

Also, the main highway off of Bush Airport is Beltway 8.  It is a toll road that costs $1.75 per tolling station.  That takes some people by surprise.  Be prepared to pay 3 or 4 of those on your way to your hotel.

There are plenty of hotels within 10 miles of the Berry Center.  You shouldn't have any trouble.  I recommend getting something in the Willowbrook area (Highway 249 at Beltway 8).  Lots of hotel options there, tons of dining options and other things and it's very close to the Berry Center area.  Plus I live in that area so you could always drop me a line if you have a question or anything :laughing:

In fact, feel free to drop me a PM.  My wife and I are going to that show and might be able to save you a trip/toll/gas if you're amenable.

Parking is free at Houston Show. 

Also if they rent a car, I would recommend using the Grand Parkway which is also a toll way (all rental cars have either a ezpass or a way you can pay tolls on your final Credit card bill).

Your advise about 290 is right on. DO NOT USE IT AT ANYTIME,,,,,,, BUT NEVER after 4pm. I10 the katy freeway center lanes are also toll way and could be an option if they use the Beltway 8 aka Sam Houston tollway. 

Hotel info is good also, or anything in Katy along the I10 / west of the energy corridor should be close enough also. 

I will be at the show but not driving. Uber = my friend due to drinking alcohol before the show! :guinesssmilie:

Edited by E3D