Pick A Show You Wish You Could See For The First Time Again

Star 93 at DCM when there was a big storm warning (I think that was finals). I’d cheer really loudly to annoy the dead silent crowd and then go all Blue Devils on the crowd, telling them they didn’t do their homework, they are not intelligent enough to get their art and they should feel honored to watch such a forward show played at mp. It would have been at least more fun than sitting next to one of their guard’s Mom who may have been the second most annoying fan I ever sat next to (discounting  all those fans that used back jacks or that didn’t fit in their bench seating so I felt their sweat drip down my leg)

3 hours ago, cowtown said:

then go all Blue Devils on the crowd

How many championship trophies, Ott's and Sanford's did you throw at the crowd?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2017 at 7:30 AM, jwillis35 said:

Star of Indiana 1990.  Another huge WOW!  Saw them in Canton in mid June. Phantom Regiment actually beat them by 3 point. But my friends and I all left the stadium thinking we had just seen the new Kings of DCI.  Star was good prior to 90, but in 90 they pushed it a few notches to freakin' amazing status!!! 

Really cool to see when a newcomer has arrived and can say with confidence, they will be contenders. We have been fortunate to experience that the last 8 years with Crown and the Bluecoats. Last time that could be said may have been Star in 89-90.

On 4/25/2017 at 10:30 AM, jwillis35 said:

Star of Indiana 1990.  Another huge WOW!  Saw them in Canton in mid June. Phantom Regiment actually beat them by 3 point. But my friends and I all left the stadium thinking we had just seen the new Kings of DCI.  Star was good prior to 90, but in 90 they pushed it a few notches to freakin' amazing status!!! 

1990. We listened to a tape of the last Star camp, (memorial day?) when driving to our own corps move-ins. They barely play through the opener standing still without having to stop. They really dug deep and worked it out. Incredible.

Edited by mingusmonk

again, for the first time?..no doubt it has to be the Chicago Royal Airs, 1965 at an exhibition at Manhattan College's football field(can't remember the name of the stadium)..Wow!! from the OTL on, they kicked major butt..For many of us it was the first time seeing a Chicago corps in NYC

Knowing what I know now...

1987 Freelancers

We'd just come back from folding. I was 16 and was in my rookie year with the corps. I think back and realised how we were all just so desperate to revive the Freelancers name and bring the corps back from the dead that many if not most of us never had the time to sit back and really appreciate what it was in fact we were accomplishing. We marched the first show at Riverside with something like 40 brass and had only actually LEARNED the show two weeks earlier. We spent the first month of tour filling holes in the line and then re-teaching everything all over. We ended up that season with a very respectable 19th place finish and made Finals 2 years later in Kansas City.. but yeah, I'd love to go back and actually appreciate what we were about to accomplish that day in Riverside in 1987.

• Like 1

I have way too many....fan since 1978. for example I am sitting here watching 1986 27th Lancers and I got tears because of all the other shows I remember.

1978 SCV when they do the Bottle Dance. High schools across America copied it for years.

1978 Crossmen RChristmas Music copied for years by bands after that

Every show that first year of Top 12 impacted me because I don't remember a year since that had so many individual pieces in shows that High School Bands still do today....

40 minutes ago, TripleForteGuy said:

I have way too many....fan since 1978. for example I am sitting here watching 1986 27th Lancers and I got tears because of all the other shows I remember.

1978 SCV when they do the Bottle Dance. High schools across America copied it for years.

1978 Crossmen RChristmas Music copied for years by bands after that

Every show that first year of Top 12 impacted me because I don't remember a year since that had so many individual pieces in shows that High School Bands still do today....

Yeah it's very specific to your own personal experience isn't it. Since you mentioned 78, I vividly recall 27 Lancers, starting in far left corner of the field, first move a head chopper (rifle toss with flags behind them swooshing the pikes over the tops of their heads with the rifles in the air above them) and people that n the crowd talking reverently about some guy named "Crazy George'. In time I came to learn about George Zingali.