What is the relationship between DCI and the individual corps?

I was brainstorming a revised business model for DCI over the weekend, and realized that I actually don't know what the current relationship is between DCI and the individual corps. Can anyone shed some light on this? Does DCI just host shows, and tell each corps "alright, you're booked, see you in Iowa tomorrow night!" or do they help arrange anything else? Is gas on the individual corps? Is housing? I'm actually not completely sure what role each organization plays in making the summer tour come together. Would love to start a discussion on what everyone knows and/or what people think the relationship actually should be.

• Like 1

DCI are in fact" the Corps".The Corps even approve ( or reject ) the judging system and the judges that judge them. This is not the arms length, independent, NCAA that oversees and governs the University Athletics programs and hires and trains the refs and umpires that are answerable to the NCAA alone for their work in the school's sports competitions. DCI is quite unique as a matter of fact in that the competing units themselves run the competitions, right down to the judging of the competitions itself.. The DCI model is flawed in so many levels, imo. That said, since DCI is in fact " The Corps ", this model is not going to change, so I see no benefit in fantasizing on some other model that has zero chances of ever coming to fruition. So my suggestion would be to just enjoy the shows, and not get bogged down in any deep thoughts filled with " what ifs ".

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, ouooga said:

I was brainstorming a revised business model for DCI over the weekend, and realized that I actually don't know what the current relationship is between DCI and the individual corps. Can anyone shed some light on this? Does DCI just host shows, and tell each corps "alright, you're booked, see you in Iowa tomorrow night!" or do they help arrange anything else? Is gas on the individual corps? Is housing? I'm actually not completely sure what role each organization plays in making the summer tour come together. Would love to start a discussion on what everyone knows and/or what people think the relationship actually should be.

I understand Brasso's point, but it's not exactly accurate. While DCI "is the corps", as he says, it is not true that the corps themselves run the competitions, except to the extent that some corps run their own shows.

The corps' representatives vote to approve or disapprove (or do so by proxy of those they elect to represent them) just about every issue related to the activity each year so, in that vein, they do "run" things.  To answer your specific questions, DCI, individual corps, and Tour Event Partners all produce a show.  As part of that responsibility, each host is responsible for providing housing and rehearsal space, showers, and quiet, segregated classrooms for drivers to sleep.

Corps directors meet early in the season, before auditions, to discuss, pound out, and sign up for shows on the tour.  Each ED chooses his own tour schedule and tour route, then agree to participate at shows along their route.  DCI creates the tour by coordinating its own shows with those of the corps and those that are TEP run.  Each show host is charged a fee for each corps in its lineup, making up a contracted amount that must be paid prior to the show date.

Each corps pays for its own expenses, although DCI does have a line-of-credit that it uses to "front" money to the corps prior to the season start, and is repaid as the season draws fans to the gates.  

Also, the major part of each corps' tour is decided long before their corps are filled out (WC/OC).  While some changes happen during the tour, it's a rarity.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 4

I like "what ifs". Nothing wrong with anyone brainstorming either. 

But In my opinion DCI is like an episode of "The Wire" there is a west side and a east side -- they both get together periodically during the offseason for a quorum---- only to decide how much larger the big chosen ones can become and all the rest of the crumbs can go to those poor suckers out of the top 7. :whistle:

I probably shouldn't have opened with the "was brainstorming a new business model" part. I just really have no clue what the role the corps and DCI play is, and had no clue how my ideas differed from what was actually out there.

• Like 2

Its true, show sponsors have some say in the negotiations for an agreement to host a competition. But DCI sets those terms pretty much, and the show sponsors either accept those terms or not. But DCI, is in fact " The Corps ". They organize and implement " the big stuff " decisions for themselves. including the approval ( or rejection ) of the judges, their training, and the competition rules upon which they all will be judged in competition.

Edited by BRASSO

34 minutes ago, E3D said:

I like "what ifs". Nothing wrong with anyone brainstorming either. 

True. fantasy is fine as a topic for those so inclined, I suppose. Point well taken.

9 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Its true, show sponsors have some say in the negotiations for an agreement to host a competition. But DCI sets those terms pretty much, and the show sponsors either accept those terms or not. But DCI, is in fact " The Corps ". They organize and implement " the big stuff " decisions for themselves.

Sorry Brasso, this is absolutely not true.  Show sponsors (except DCI itself) have no say at all and there is no negotiation about shows.  In fact, the rules are quite strict that show hosts are not to contact corps directly to invite or convince a corps to attend its show.  The only thing a host has a say in is whether or not they can afford the contract, the terms of which are completely set by DCI based on each corps' finals placement in the prior year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Sorry Brasso, this is absolutely not true.  Show sponsors (except DCI itself) have no say at all and there is no negotiation about shows.  In fact, the rules are quite strict that show hosts are not to contact corps directly to invite or convince a corps to attend its show.  The only thing a host has a say in is whether or not they can afford the contract, the terms of which are completely set by DCI based on each corps' finals placement in the prior year.

Has that ever caused any negatives in terms of relationships? Or are most show promoters fine with it because it's just the way it is?

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Sorry Brasso, this is absolutely not true.  Show sponsors (except DCI itself) have no say at all and there is no negotiation about shows.  

Thats what I said.. lol!

Show sponsors ( and potential show sponsors ) negotiate all the time with DCI, but DCI in the end has the final say. Thats why many former show sponsors have lost shows. They either were dropped by DCI, or the show sponsors found DCI's terms were no longer acceptable to them.

Edited by BRASSO