Crowd Reactions to shows

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Well said.

My years with DCA's Sunrisers... and Guardling, as you know we were a pretty #### good corps those years... we had shows like Providence, RI, where we got a rock-star reception every year... for whatever reason, the crowd loved us there.

Then there were places like Lewisburg, PA, where no matter how good we were that night, the crowd sat there and stared at us. :tongue: 

This inconsistent, perhaps fickle, audience reaction from show to show provides the rationale behind the long standing tradition, still prevalent today, for judges to totally disregard the audience in the judges allotment of points, particularly in the GE captions. Corps shows are neither to be overscored by virtue of an audience ( as you said ) " loving them" in one venue at the end of the show, nor in another venue underscored by virtue of the audience ( as you said ) " just sitting there and just staring at them" at the end of their show. The audience thus is a complete non factor in the judges allotment of points in competition. Same as it ever was.

Edited by BRASSO

16 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

We had shows like Providence, RI, where we got a rock-star reception every year... for whatever reason, the crowd loved us there.  Then there were places like Lewisburg, PA, where no matter how good we were that night, the crowd sat there and stared at us. :tongue:  After a few years of that we were like, whatever... it's Lewisburg... LOL

Providence probably had more D&BC fans to bring in than a farm area like Lewisburg.

Edited by Ghost

17 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Providence probably had more D&BC fans to bring in then a farm area like Lewisburg.

Right... as we all know, farmers don't like, nor enjoy, Drum Corps shows, just " them cityfolk ".. lol! ( and Lewisburg only has farmers in that " farm area ", no Drum Corps fans, or Drum Corps in this" farm area " back then... lol!

Edited by BRASSO

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I taught Bridgemen when the south won ( a young punk, thought I knew it all instructor, lol )  and it was like an earthquake rumbling the stadium at the end BUT I will say like in many cases even today , what we see and believe to be consistent  positive receptions of a program often is not shared show after show throughout the tour. An audience reaction can and does vary, sometimes night to night and what appears to be a majority liking something or not on a given night can be very different the very next night. Often, like in the Bridgemen the years you speak of, it took a good part of the year and of course getting better and developing the show to get reaction it did at the end.

Finals night as you did say was quite special for that corps as it is for many by the end. At least that's the hope.

You have great points and I'd like to add another factor: hosts of shows. It's probably about ten years ago, but I was traveling and saw a show where very little effort was made into announcing, refreshments, programs, etc., and people sat on their hands. I saw pretty much the same slate the next night at a show hosted by Cadets. Same size crowd, but it had a dynamic announcer, great program, easy access to refreshments, and it was far more engaging. The corps headed to the Boston area and I saw them again. It had a reunion like atmosphere, Paul Cain still ruled as announcer supreme (Boston Crusaders, (pause),  you (with audience help), may enter the field for competition). Again, ecstatic audience. Corps get a better response when people want to be at a show and are enjoying it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ghost said:

Providence probably had more D&BC fans to bring in then a farm area like Lewisburg.

Blame it on the farmers.  :tongue:

Lewisburg always was well-attended... sold out several times... but the crowd vibe was different, at least for us!!!  LOL

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Blame it on the farmers.  :tongue:

Lewisburg always was well-attended... sold out several times... but the crowd vibe was different, at least for us!!!  LOL

performed with the Skyliners in 1968 at Lewisburg Federal penitentiary...weird location but the inmates were highly appreciative..as a matter of fact some of the inmates knew Pepe and Walt and shouted out their names during the exhibition

• Like 2

1 minute ago, waliman4444 said:

performed with the Skyliners in 1968 at Lewisburg Federal penitentiary...weird location but the inmates were highly appreciative..as a matter of fact some of the inmates knew Pepe and Walt and shouted out their names during the exhibition

Heh... back then, you never knew where the neighborhood guys would end up!!!  LOL

truer words were never spoken..LOL

Edited by waliman4444
spelling error