June 22nd, DCI Tour Premiere/Theater Event

Interesting that the DCI event is listed in the "Sports" category on the Fathom Events site, instead of "Arts and Entertainment."

What that has to do with anything important, I don't know. I just found it interesting. :tongue:

9 hours ago, xandandl said:

and where I live in the Northeast, we're lucky to get 12 in the theater any year.

Same here, at the theater we normally go to just north of Baltimore.

On the positive side... it's like a private screening.  LOL

The August prelims show is usually better-attended.

Not sure we're gonna be able to catch the June show this year.

My location seems to pick up in attendance every year. 

Hasn't sold out for the premier. Maybe they'll open the 600's this year. :whistle:

The crowd that usually shows up at my Bay Area theater for this skews somewhat old. Not sure they'll be expecting most of the uniforms unveiled that night...

I live in the Boston area and I usually go to different theaters each year, depending on my schedule. I've seen the theater reasonably full, and rather empty. I don't think the first season show has the draw that Big, Loud, and Live has, and probably attracts only those who know drum corps. Also, there are usually a good number of theaters presenting it, all within a close range, but they are not the same chains of cinemas (Showcase and AMC). For Massachusetts It would not be too much of an issue for two Showcase cinemas: Dedham and Foxboro to show it at one venue and would probably attract the same  number of attendees. I do not believe that other nearby chains offer it. Lowell and Revere could potentially combine, but could lose customers if the AMC theater in Burlington, about midpoint for both, showed it again. You also run into the school issue. This year most schools will still be in session at that point due to all the snow days we had. I have seen kids studying between shows. Not sure it's the best idea, but I say that as a 54 year old who at 16 would have done the same thing if I had the opportunity.

The years I've attended Big, Loud, and Live have had healthier crowds and more venues showing it and some sell out prior to the showing, but it is easier to get non drum corps people to attend, there is a rather mixed crowd with quite a few high school kids, lots of back in the days folks too and if only for one night the old rivalries come back to life but there are no rumbles in the parking lots. 

Last year, they used the same theater for quarterfinals that they used for the tour premiere, which as I said, only seats about 50. It sold out way before quarters day. 

They ended up having to open up one of the big theaters because they had over a hundred people show up on the day of. 

That was pretty neat.