WHY SO SECRETIVE ON SHOWS ???

Definitely some copyright stuff, just corps being really careful and securing everything and making everything is in order.   

And last years champion held out on the theme and music really late.  Probably some "if they won doing it we should do it too" going on but that is just speculation.  

• Like 2

It is a bit annoying as a fan but I suspect as Texas drum man has indicated ,,,,, something due to copyrights - and do what the others do. 

• Like 2

Hype. It's a marketing tool. Until we know what a show is, we will wonder about it, which leads to excitement.

• Like 2

Having nothing to talk about an upcoming season however is a Drum Corps discussion forum killer though. When Corps go into caves in the off season now and hunker down in silence, naturally the Drum Corps fans do too. Thus, the traffic on modern day Drum Corps discussion on social media has crumbled.  As a result  Drum Corps fan discussion sites on social media that deal with discussions of Drum Corps in the 60's, or 70's, or 80's, etc.. each one of them have far more visitors and posters to each of their sites than any of the sites devoted to the upcoming DCI season. So just like the fundamental Laws of Physics, every action has a reaction. The Corps going silent in the off season now has had the natural reaction of the national Drum Corps fans now going increasingly silent on them now as well.... and for approx 42 weeks out of the 52 weeks of the year now too. if Corps now give its fans little to nothing to talk about their upcoming season, well, theres little to nothing about them to currently discuss. No real surprise then..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

The copyright and arrangement licensing can be a big part of it.  There have been times when a group had to drop material because the licensing fell through...

But the biggest reason today for doing so (as the Bluecoats did last year) probably has to do with preservation of a concept.  Some experiments are best served in secrecy simply because knowing about it and having the time to talk about it also gives the opportunity to malign it unfairly before it's given a chance.  Imagine if the word had gotten out about some of the things that the Bluecoats did last year... Even after the concept was successfully proven and found to be highly entertaining, there are still detractors on the uniforms, choreography, and set pieces (quarter/half pipe slides).  Can you imagine how defeated they would have been if the Internet was provided the opportunity to determine the impact of these design elements before they were given the opportunity to be proven in action?

I think there is a correlation between early access to the concept and premeditated judgement for some (if not many shows).  I don't know... but I wonder if the Cadets would have suffered as much as they did on the reading of their program if they had been a bit more quiet about their design last year.  There was an AWFUL lot of finite conversation about their GE way before they played their first note last year.  I think that the bigger the risk... the better the secrecy.  And I'm betting that there will be a little more risk taking this year than in the past.  That could be good... it could be bad... <<<<< but you can see right there (the idea that risk taking cold be good or bad), the kind of pre-judgement that can occur for absolutely no good reason (made even worse with partial information and imaginative hype/spite or a combination thereof).

I can even point to one recent post in particular concerning a DCP patron that suggested that they heard about the concept for the Bluecoats this year and they now seem to have low expectations... That really isn't a possible finite place to arrive without having actually seen/heard anything.  But that's what we fans do.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Having nothing to talk about an upcoming season however is a Drum Corps discussion forum killer though. When Corps go into caves in the off season now and hunker down in silence, naturally the Drum Corps fans do too. Thus, the traffic on modern day Drum Corps discussion on social media has crumbled.  As a result  Drum Corps fan discussion sites on social media that deal with discussions of Drum Corps in the 60's, or 70's, or 80's, etc.. each one of them have far more visitors and posters to each of their sites than any of the sites devoted to the upcoming DCI season. So just like the fundamental Laws of Physics, every action has a reaction. The Corps going silent in the off season now has had the natural reaction of the national Drum Corps fans now going increasingly silent on them now as well.... and for approx 42 weeks out of the 52 weeks of the year now too. if Corps now give its fans little to nothing to talk about their upcoming season, well, theres little to nothing about them to currently discuss. No real surprise then..

Hey, we still have lots to talk about. We can discuss Unpopular Opinions, or What Show Design Tropes Make Us Cringe, or The Music Corps Should Do....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I don't know... but I wonder if the Cadets would have suffered as much as they did on the reading of their program if they had been a bit more quiet about their design last year.  There was an AWFUL lot of finite conversation about their GE way before they played their first note last year.  I think that the bigger the risk... the better the secrecy.  And I'm betting that there will be a little more risk taking this year than in the past.  

I think if DCP posters were doing the judging, then I agree that the conversation early on would've worked against the Cadets. The hype was mixed, at best, early on.

I do agree with your statement about risk taking this year. "Risk taking" in the sense that I feel like we're going to see a lot of stuff that we're not used to (or at least the natural progression of where the activity has been heading).

• Like 1