WHY SO SECRETIVE ON SHOWS ???

I'll get some info from the kids I sponsored after this weekend and we have a broadcast coming tomorrow I heard. 

12 hours ago, subcritical said:

obviously if you're the last corps to announce your show you'll win

/s

judges ( especially visual/ guard ) evaluate Corps in standstill pre season video performances and write down their allotted points on scrapes of paper that they then take with them for competition shows in Texas ,Allentown, etc.  It makes their job a lot easier then.

• Like 1

There are times too, when we really don't need a lot of info, music,... and that should be pointed out too, imo

• Like 1

Nice zipper drill dodging into the shoe store there at the end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BRASSO said:

judges ( especially visual/ guard ) evaluate Corps in standstill pre season video performances and write down their allotted points on scrapes of paper that they then take with them for competition shows in Texas ,Allentown, etc.  It makes their job a lot easier then.

one notecard, front and back, for the entire season 

On 4/28/2017 at 2:54 PM, BRASSO said:

The analogy would work if movies did not promote themselves 24-7.  Even when a movie is in production, they have legions of promoters hyping the movie and providing all sorts of specifiic details on the movie. Not only do the Production companies tell us the actors, script, theme. music, they even run out movie trailers on the movie to the public and its done even before they print up the tickets and provide the show times, etc. The movie industry model is far, far removed from the model that the DCI Corps embrace by self actualizing themselves into becoming the 21st century's " Silent Movie " of the Marching Arts realm.

Do you not follow the corps on social media? Between Facebook and Instagram, I don't think I can go twenty-four hours without getting an update from at least one corps, either about work on the current season or work going on with related programs (WGI for the past month, obviously). The content quantity goes even higher on camp weekends. For non-profit organizations to put out at least one social post per day, and photos and video updates at least weekly, that feels about as much "promote themselves 24-7" as we can expect. What more are you looking for?

Side note: there really is a chance a lot of you aren't on the Facebook group, which is super surprising to me. I posted a video yesterday of Cavies guard working on Mars using a recording of the hornline playing. It had been live for two hours before I shared it, and I was legitimately in shock it hadn't made its way to FB DCP yet. I also saw video updates from a few other corps over the weekend, and none of those videos made it to DCP. The content is out there.

1 hour ago, ouooga said:

Do you not follow the corps on social media? Between Facebook and Instagram, I don't think I can go twenty-four hours without getting an update from at least one corps, either about work on the current season or work going on with related programs (WGI for the past month, obviously). The content quantity goes even higher on camp weekends. For non-profit organizations to put out at least one social post per day, and photos and video updates at least weekly, that feels about as much "promote themselves 24-7" as we can expect. What more are you looking for?

Side note: there really is a chance a lot of you aren't on the Facebook group, which is super surprising to me. I posted a video yesterday of Cavies guard working on Mars using a recording of the hornline playing. It had been live for two hours before I shared it, and I was legitimately in shock it hadn't made its way to FB DCP yet. I also saw video updates from a few other corps over the weekend, and none of those videos made it to DCP. The content is out there.

The lack of structure on the facebook group makes it a no-go. I am already in more facebook groups than I care to be. A sloppy version of DCP doesn't make the cut.

2 hours ago, ouooga said:

Do you not follow the corps on social media? 

More than you'll ever know... lol! I get stuff from everywhere, and much of it on a pm basis. By the time themes, music, progress of Corps gets posted on here, its already old news to me. All that said, DCI Corps have nowhere near the degree of off season PUBLIC traffic discussion that they used too have. Even from just a few short years ago. If you don't understand this, then I'm sorry, I can't help you. Fans never had to converse with one another on the Corps in the off season looking over their shoulder to make sure they did not violate some ridiculous policy of what you'd think was in the realm of life and death or national security. Its summer marching band ( or drum corps ) for heavens sake. Corps ARE entitled to go publically silent like this of course.. and fans naturally are entitled to drift away and do a million other things in the off season than to even give them a momentary thought. And this is precisely what the vast majority fans of DCI Corps have done of late. if you are happy with this new state of affairs ( secrecy ) then good for you. You can go discuss the current 2017 season with the remaining 6-10 or so fans on here., or the 6-10 on some other social media ( Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, et al and the rest ) geared for the discussion of the 2017 DCI Corps themes, music, prospects, etc

Edited by BRASSO

17 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

More than you'll ever know... lol! I get stuff from everywhere, and much of it on a pm basis. By the time themes, music, progress of Corps gets posted on here, its already old news to me. All that said, DCI Corps have nowhere near the degree of off season PUBLIC traffic discussion that they used too have. Even from just a few short years ago. If you don't understand this, then I'm sorry, I can't help you. Fans never had to converse with one another on the Corps in the off season looking over their shoulder to make sure they did not violate some ridiculous policy of what you'd think was in the realm of life and death or national security. Its summer marching band ( or drum corps ) for heavens sake. Corps ARE entitled to go publically silent like this of course.. and fans naturally are entitled to drift away and do a million other things in the off season than to even give them a momentary thought. And this is precisely what the vast majority fans of DCI Corps have done of late. if you are happy with this new state of affairs ( secrecy ) then good for you. You can go discuss the current 2017 season with the remaining 6-10 or so fans on here., or the 6-10 on some other social media ( Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, et al and the rest ) geared for the discussion of the 2017 DCI Corps themes, music, prospects, etc

I've been talking about drum corps on the Internet for more than a decade, and I've been an active member of DCP since 2007. Day and night, year round, I talk about drum corps online more now than ever before. The only place that discussion doesn't take place as frequent as it used to is on DCP. Meanwhile on Reddit, Facebook, Instagram; literally a dozen times a day I have the opportunity to interact with fellow fans, year round, to discuss the upcoming season, new uniforms, show rumors, past shows (my personal favorite topic, discussing a show I haven't seen in a while after someone posts a video), past seasons, new corps, new staff, old staff.....I almost can't imagine what more we could want, other than actual show footage (and I don't even know if we really want that. People always get ###### when the final scene of a movie is what's shown in the trailer).

As for the "6-10" fans on those other platforms, a single example, Blue Devils posted a photo from camp on Instagram at 6am this morning, and by 8:15am it had been liked by 1,172 individuals. Unless those 6-10 fans each have literally a hundred accounts each, I just don't see how it's assumed that people aren't engaging. We're just at an age where discussions and the content put out by corps (and all organizations) is considered "snack-able" more than a full meal. Engage, and move on.

But corps are definitely putting content on the Internet, and fan engagement is definitely happening on the Internet. It's all just different from a few years ago.

36 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

The lack of structure on the facebook group makes it a no-go. I am already in more facebook groups than I care to be. A sloppy version of DCP doesn't make the cut.

I'm curious what more you're looking for. Actually curious, not making a slight comment here. I'm no admin on that page, but I'm actively personally trying to share more content now in an effort to get that ball rolling. Would love to help make FBDCP a more accessible medium however I can.