Licensing fees question

51 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I know DCI gets the rights / pays the licensing fees etc.  

How much $ are these fees?  I am pretty sure it depends on the music, but what is a ballpark estimate?

The left arm below the shoulder, the left leg below the hip.

• Like 1

<<< High School Band Director here.

We typically pay anywhere from ~$175 to ~$700 for a single piece of music. Some pieces are known to cost more than this.

This is licensing the piece to Arrange and Perform only (i.e., no recording or sync rights - that's extra!). Each piece costs a different amount, and that amount is typically negotiated by the copyright holder with the artist/composer who created the piece.

It's common for us to spend $2500 to copyright a 7:00 show for 15 performances for a single season.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I know DCI gets the rights / pays the licensing fees etc.  

How much $ are these fees?  I am pretty sure it depends on the music, but what is a ballpark estimate?

Yes and no.

The individual corps pay for music arranging rights and inclusion rights for any samples (audio and visual) they may use.

Show sponsors pay for performance rights. DCI pays for those rights at DCI run events, otherwise it's up to whoever runs the show to make sure they secure them. This includes parades as well (yes, parade sponsors must secure music performance rights).

Media producers pay for streaming, synchronization, and/or mechanical rights.

That said, arranging rights can vary wildly, from as low as 0-$100 on the low end to $1000 or more on the upper end. As was said earlier in the thread, most pieces fall into the $175-700 range. And the expensive pieces are never what you'd think. Pop and rock tunes tend to fall on the low end, with symphonic and wind band pieces on the high (sometimes really high) end.

Edited by Kamarag