History's Worst Drum Corps-Related Tragedy

On October 10, 1888, 36 boys, who were members of the St. Aloysius Society Drum and Bugle Corps of Pleasant Valley, PA,

(now known as Avoca, PA), were among the 66 people killed in a train wreck at Kidder Township, PA.

The story is here:   http://articles.mcall.com/1993-02-22/news/2901378_1_train-lehigh-river-mud

Here's the wreckage:

2219365_orig.jpg

Edited by Northern Thunder

Wow. Until I read this, I had no idea.

That's up in the Wilkes Barre/Scranton, PA, area.

Edited by Fran Haring

"Drum Corps Tradgedies":

I understand that in 1970, a bus carrying members of the Skokie/Norwood Park Imperials went down a cliffside on the corps way to the VFW Nationals, which that year were held in Miami Florida.

Any other details?

Elphaba:flower:

16 minutes ago, elphaba01 said:

I understand that in 1970, a bus carrying members of the Skokie/Norwood Park Imperials went down a cliffside on the corps way to the VFW Nationals, which that year were held in Miami Florida.

Any other details?

Here it is Elphaba:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1970/08/18/page/1/article/skokie-band-bus-crash

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"Air Force Corps Members Lost"

The US Air Force Bolling AFB Drum Corps lost four marching members when a C-119 cargo aircrft transporting corps members crashed in Maryland in 1954.

RIP        :136_angel:

13 minutes ago, elphaba01 said:

"Air Force Corps Members Lost"

The US Air Force Bolling AFB Drum Corps lost four marching members when a C-119 cargo aircrft transporting corps members crashed in Maryland in 1954.

RIP        :136_angel:

I never heard about that one, Elphaba.

19 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Airplane crashed into a hanger at O'Hare Apt in Dec 1968 where Des Plaines Vanguard was practicing.  IIRC there was at least one fatality in the Corps, along with many on the aircraft.  Several Corps members injured as well

Yes, that was during an unbelievable stretch of tragedies that Des Plaines suffered through in 1967/68.

On June 10, 1967, Des Plaines lost John Gruber, a member who was fatally-struck by lightning in Des Plaines.

On May 31, 1968, Barbara Lutz and Jean Deal, Vanguard color guard members, were hit and killed while walking home from corps practice.

December 27, 1968 was the plane crash at O'Hare, that killed Ronnie Pappas of the Vanguard.