Which "Brass Circle" do you just want to sit and listen?

This may be considered a play on the "Loudest" stream.  However, I am taking a slightly different tact.  It's not just about how loud, but the amazing brass sound when the blend is just right and you are completely engulfed with the luscious sound of brass.

It is always a dream of mine to sit in the circle during warm-ups.  I have hosted many corps at the school over the years and have never had an opportunity to sit in the circle.  Thinking about the history of Drum Corps, I always wondered what circle/arch would I have wanted to sit in.  Here are a few that I would love to go back in time and sit down and just listen.

1975 - Muchachos

1980 - Spirit of Atlanta

1984 - Blue Devils

1992 - Madison

1991 - Star of Indiana

1996 - Phantom Regiment

2011 - Cadets

2012 - Bluecoats

2013 - Carolina Crown

Add to the list as you see fit.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

I don't think siting in a brass circle is a good idea. :babies:

5 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

1984 - Blue Devils

THANK YOU!!   Nice to see my only year getting some love!

As for me (and by NO means a complete list)

83 Suncoast

84 BD (duh!)'

85 Suncoast

86 BD

87 SCV

88 SCV

88 Madison

95 Madison (goodbye ears)

92 Glassmen

07 Crown

16 Academy

Sky Ryders, 1980 or 81. In an era of overblown, screechy hornlines, Sky Ryders' brass was remarkably lush and balanced. I was in the Guardsmen at the time, and our brass instructor, HOF-er Tim Salzman, made us go listen to the Sky Ryders as they warmed up for a show. Salzman told us to take note of the overtones that the Sky Ryder horns produced, something that only happens when the members of an ensemble listen to each other and play coherently and in-tune. 

Sky Ryders also had beautiful horns, silver-plated Kings, if I recall correctly, at a time when most folks were using chrome DEGs. 

• Like 3

1985 Santa Clara Vanguard. I am a bit biased here, 1985 West Chester show, Cadets and Vanguard were tooth and nail. Vanguard did an encore standstill. I sat on the field in their arc as they played the show. Simply mind blowing.  May be my greatest drum corp moment ever. To me the greatest horn line ever.

Edited by oldcadetsop
  • Like 1