Blue Devils 2017 Show Announcement

36 minutes ago, Ghost said:

So Crown does Dark Side of The Moon and Vitae Aeternum by Paul-Lovatt Cooper and now the BD will be doing The Triump of Time by Peter Graham.  Can't wait until some of the other great brass band pieces make it on the field.  If I missed other pieces I'm sorry.

As I searched, it looks like other pieces have been played, but not with too much meat on the arrangements.

8 hours ago, Ghost said:

So Crown does Dark Side of The Moon and Vitae Aeternum by Paul-Lovatt Cooper and now the BD will be doing The Triump of Time by Peter Graham.  Can't wait until some of the other great brass band pieces make it on the field.  If I missed other pieces I'm sorry.

Many brass band tunes have been used in drum corps. To my knowledge, the Cadets started the trend in 1997 with Year of the Dragon. And they repeated the next year with Stonehenge. BK did an all Peter Graham show in 2000, and other corps have played Graham since. BD used Paganini Variations by Wilby as their ballad in 2000, and Regiment did the same in 2009. The Academy did an all-Wilby show in their second season in world class in 2008. And there are many more in between.

Crown gets a lot of credit for popularizing brass band music in drum corps, but it's been around for a while.

• Like 2

Probably a topic for another day... and no offense meant to BD or any other corps  (Heck, I'm looking forward to this BD program... sounds really cool)... 

But is it just me, or are these corps program descriptions hopelessly overwritten?  LOL

IMO, they all could probably cover the same ground in half the space. But then, they might need more photos to fill the program page. :tongue:

Probably just the former broadcast writer in me coming out here.  It was all about shorter, tighter, more focused.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

But is it just me, or are these corps program descriptions hopelessly overwritten?  LOL

Probably just the former broadcast writer in me coming out here.  It was all about shorter, tighter, more focused.

It's not you.  They are pretentious as hell.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Wow.  I love how the director immediately rushes to the players to embrace them, and you can see people in the crowd crying. Amazing!

• Like 1

I love this Triumph of Time piece!

I wonder if the arrangements now are more influenced by Glyde?  I think Wayne still does the finishing touches but Dave is really doing a great job.  I think he comes up with an overall arrangement of brass and percussion and then Downy and Johnson fine tune the ideas.  I would love to hear from them on this.

The caption head at BDB has done an incredible job with their hornline.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eleran said:

It's not you.  They are pretentious as hell.

That's what makes them so fun to read. It's as if they string together every big word in their vocabulary thinking that's impressive 

• Like 1

Someone saying "pretentious as hell" says a lot about the person saying it.

It makes me sick how people often said that about Emerson Lake and Palmer but I don't see them having the ability to play such music at all.  hmmm  I always found ELP to be wonderful musicians who play within their ability and enjoy what they brought to music in general.

I am very grateful both exists and i can enjoy their music.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

That's what makes them so fun to read. It's as if they string together every big word in their vocabulary thinking that's impressive 

Cuz they gots awl that book lernin n stuff.  Letz see what on the tawlkin picher bawx.

• Like 1