Standing ovations after percussion breaks

A few minutes ago I stumbled upon the VERY exciting 1992 version of City of Angels by the Madison Scouts. While watching the show, I noticed something (other than this being one of the few times where the rehash was better than the original). I noticed that after the big drumline break near the end of the show, the camera shows the crowd and a good number of them are on their feet going wild. Now I'm not a percussionist so I wouldn't know what a REALLY clean drumline sounds like, but they must have been pretty good to get an ovation like that. Afterwards, it hit me, I've never seen a drumline get a standing o, so if anyone has any input or has seen more drum breaks get said ovations it would be very much appreciated if you could share!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shmeg212 said:

A few minutes ago I stumbled upon the VERY exciting 1992 version of City of Angels by the Madison Scouts. While watching the show, I noticed something (other than this being one of the few times where the rehash was better than the original). I noticed that after the big drumline break near the end of the show, the camera shows the crowd and a good number of them are on their feet going wild. Now I'm not a percussionist so I wouldn't know what a REALLY clean drumline sounds like, but they must have been pretty good to get an ovation like that. Afterwards, it hit me, I've never seen a drumline get a standing o, so if anyone has any input or has seen more drum breaks get said ovations it would be very much appreciated if you could share!

There have been several threads, many of them recent discussing what you raise. Most of them originate with people who like Madison and its styles. Others analyze the shows as whether designed toward adrenaline rushes, designed toward evoking sentiment, or designed toward evoking awe. Then there is the breakdown among shows that dazzle with performance excellence, those that dazzle with difficulty, and those that dazzle with various nuances of design. Few shows click all of those boxes and each fan will have a particular assessment of what they like and why. And thus the discussion becomes opinions and sometimes conversation.

Both 2000 and 2005 Cadets percussion  got standing O's of at least some of the audience at nationals.. The years they won the Sanford trophy were also years where the crowd acknowledged the performance. This is typical for Sanford winners. Check that list and then go to the videos for that show. You'll see many pleased people.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

Drum solos, as they were called back in the day, were programmed as part of the show. Usually the percussion would do their thing, the colorguard would do their most amazing routines, and the hornline framed things. Two who were amazing at this were 27th Lancers and Phantom Regiment, particularly in 1979 and 1980. Audiences loved it because it was pure mastery. Today we do not see this as we did back in the day, but the percussion section is more integrated in the design as opposed to what was sometimes called "the elevator style" of marching (drum line in one formation in the middle basically going up and down the 50 yard line). You still see the mastery and the bravado though I will admit I can do without the facial expressions and overkill of bravado we sometimes see, but that's just me. Also in our digital age close ups are easier and zoom lenses have come down in price and film is no longer used, which makes photography at shows easier, so maybe the facial expressions have been there for years but we never got the close ups. However, if there was a recent show with a drumline that I wanted to jump out of my seat and cheer it would be 2013 Cadets. I believe they won the percussion caption that year and design, talent, and style were spot on.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Drum solos, as they were called back in the day, were programmed as part of the show. Usually the percussion would do their thing, the colorguard would do their most amazing routines, and the hornline framed things. Two who were amazing at this were 27th Lancers and Phantom Regiment, particularly in 1979 and 1980. Audiences loved it because it was pure mastery. Today we do not see this as we did back in the day, but the percussion section is more integrated in the design as opposed to what was sometimes called "the elevator style" of marching (drum line in one formation in the middle basically going up and down the 50 yard line). You still see the mastery and the bravado though I will admit I can do without the facial expressions and overkill of bravado we sometimes see, but that's just me. Also in our digital age close ups are easier and zoom lenses have come down in price and film is no longer used, which makes photography at shows easier, so maybe the facial expressions have been there for years but we never got the close ups. However, if there was a recent show with a drumline that I wanted to jump out of my seat and cheer it would be 2013 Cadets. I believe they won the percussion caption that year and design, talent, and style were spot on.

You beat me to it. I too was going to reference that back in the day when there were dedicated drum features, it was a common occurrence, but that was also because the most complex visuals of the show occurred at the same time. Thanks for the 27th '79 shout out!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

You beat me to it. I too was going to reference that back in the day when there were dedicated drum features, it was a common occurrence, but that was also because the most complex visuals of the show occurred at the same time. Thanks for the 27th '79 shout out!

Those lines from 79-80 were very good. Phantom lines with M. H. were really good also. 

The line I liked from my marching days was 87 Cadets. It was interesting and clean. The cymbal line from that year and the SCV cymbal line gave many a change to the activity. 

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

There have been several threads, many of them recent discussing what you raise. Most of them originate with people who like Madison and its styles. Others analyze the shows as whether designed toward adrenaline rushes, designed toward evoking sentiment, or designed toward evoking awe. Then there is the breakdown among shows that dazzle with performance excellence, those that dazzle with difficulty, and those that dazzle with various nuances of design. Few shows click all of those boxes and each fan will have a particular assessment of what they like and why. And thus the discussion becomes opinions and sometimes conversation.

Both 2000 and 2005 Cadets percussion  got standing O's of at least some of the audience in Indianapolis. The years they won the Sanford trophy were also years where the crowd acknowledged the performance. This is typical for Sanford winners. Check that list and then go to the videos for that show. You'll see many pleased people.

Buh?

:laughing:

But yeah. I was at finals in College Park in 2000.  Actually, pretty much all the soli groups got ovations.  The tenors on the sideline was the bit that really began to draw us up though.  The drum feature was the start of the whole "Can you top this?" bravado that went through all the sections.  It was a great show.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 5

Can't let this topic go by without a shoutout to the Bridgemen drum line and Black Market Juggler. It was glorious. 1983. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 9

24 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Can't let this topic go by without a shoutout to the Bridgemen drum line and Black Market Juggler. It was glorious. 1983. 

It was but IMHO I always thought that show was a bit over hyped or rated. Just an opinion. I liked it but was never a bridgemen fan. 

i was in the stands at finals in 00

that cadets drum break was amazing

to this day, the only time i've ever actually felt like standing up and shouting FOR ANYTHING at a dci show was the drum thing at the end of bd's 03 opener. not even a favorite show of mine, but that moment did something to me in the stands. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lance said:

i was in the stands at finals in 00

that cadets drum break was amazing

to this day, the only time i've ever actually felt like standing up and shouting FOR ANYTHING at a dci show was the drum thing at the end of bd's 03 opener. not even a favorite show of mine, but that moment did something to me in the stands. 

My equivalent of this Crown 2009's Puck One. Every time.