Spirit of Atlanta 2017

Alright so I'm in one of those resale groups for band and saw their props for sale. They want  $1200 for each prop and it got me thinking of was it really worth it to put those on the field? A group that has been struggling with funds spends between  $4,000-$5,000 to make custom welded props that didn't add much to a show. I'm surprised that that purchase was ok'd unless they are out of financial trouble which would be great for them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Alright so I'm in one of those resale groups for band and saw their props for sale. They want  $1200 for each prop and it got me thinking of was it really worth it to put those on the field? A group that has been struggling with funds spends between  $4,000-$5,000 to make custom welded props that didn't add much to a show. I'm surprised that that purchase was ok'd unless they are out of financial trouble which would be great for them. 

the last time I had talked to any of the folks associated with the admin of the corps, they had paid off something approaching half a million dollars of the previous administrations debt AND run the corps in the black for two consecutive seasons.  While they are not where they want to be financially, they are laying a very solid foundation for the long term future of the corps and they are doing just fine in securing the corps financial position in the short term. 

The administrative team in place now is made up of business people, not musicians who want to be involved in drum corps and have to do that pesky business stuff in order to do so. 

That is not to cast aspersion on musicians.  I'm one of those musicians who loves to teach drum corps, but I am well aware that my strengths do not lie in the administrative side of running things.  I have been asked on multiple occasions by multiple different organizations to take over administrative tasks and positions.  I was quite flattered to even  be offered a job as a corps director at one point.  I turned all those opportunities down because I am self aware enough to know my strengths lie on the instructional side of things not administrative.  

As an alum of the corps, I'm proud of and thankful for all of the staff, members and volunteers who are moving the corps in a positive long term direction.  Hope that eases any of your concerns.

AA

• Like 5

They aren't out of debt totally yet I don't think (don't quote me on that, as I'm not privy to the specific financial end of things recently) but with that track record, I feel confident they will be soon. More importantly, they have established solid business relationships with vendors again which will serve the corps well moving forward.

AA

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

There's some SoA chatter on the staff thread but I didn't want to hijack it.

While so many people were busy singing the praises of BAC and Mandarins, I feel SoA flew under the radar. They were my surprise of the season. I think they took some big risks in modernizing and to me it paid off. Even though it was a new look and sound, I still got a Spirit vibe. Could have done withou the props, but ya can't have everything.

Hope they continue in the same vein in 2018. 

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1