Music City Under Evaluation for 2018 Promotion

Well Genesis made the jump, and now Music City is looking at that route too.  (per the OC forum, figured this deserved to be in the WC forum as well)

http://musiccitydrumcorps.org/uncategorized/help-mcdc-become-world-class/

From Music City Website:

"Attention drum corps fans! Music City Drum Corps is excited to let you know that the corps is being evaluated by Drum Corps International for possible inclusion in DCI’s world class for the 2018 season. Surprise! As many of you know, Drum Corps International has two divisions of corps, world class and open class. The 2017 season will be MCDC’s ninth year participating as an open class corps. What is the difference you ask? World class corps travel more, have significantly larger budgets and generally perform at a higher level of execution as they tend to attract larger numbers of college students. A corps must receive an invitation to become a world class corps. Just this year, Genesis Drum Corps from Austin, TX was invited to participate in DCI’s world class.

So how can you help? While DCI will certainly be scoring Music City’s performance on the field, it will also be evaluating the culture of the organization, its fans and frankly the appetite of Nashville to financially support a world class corps for years to come. Yes the performers in every drum corps pay membership fees that pay most of the bills, but world class corps can’t saddle all of the additional expenses on the backs of its members. We need YOU to help Music City Drum Corps make it to world class! We need YOUR support.

Be counted!! Not everyone can write a big check. But let us count you among those willing to support a NEW world class drum corps in whatever manner you can. Maybe you can volunteer to help prepare meals for a week or two, maybe you can help with uniform alterations, maybe you have what it takes to become our newest board member or maybe you CAN write a check. It’s time to be counted. Will you please help? Donate or contact us now."

After almost folding in 2013, seems they have set their goals pretty high as an organization.  Seems like they are making changes to move and transition into becoming a bigger, better, and stronger organization.  This runs a lot deeper than their performance on the field and the score they receive in August, I wish them the best of luck on that and hope they have a great summer!  Despite whether or not they move up in 2018, it seems to signal they're working on becoming a much bigger voice in the drum corps community.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 7

Well this is exciting. I've only seen them on video, but from what I've seen they're really good. Reminds me a lot of the talent that we saw with Academy in the early 00s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Well Genesis made the jump, and now Music City is looking at that route too.  (per the OC forum, figured this deserved to be in the WC forum as well)

http://musiccitydrumcorps.org/uncategorized/help-mcdc-become-world-class/

What a difference a few years make...a la the G7 cabal of 2010...I'm VERY happy for Music City...this is sound organizational growth...and good decision making on their part...I wish them the best of success!

• Like 2