Members with Limited Abilities

I recently revisited the Cadets performance from 1983 to familiarize myself more with Mass.  I was very much aware of the wonderful mellophone soloist during that show as well as in 1984.  I apologize that I do not know her name.  I sure someone will set me straight on that which I will say thank you.  To get to the point, it was sometime (years probably) that I was aware of her physical disability.  Watching recently made me wonder if she or anyone with a physical disability would have the same opportunity in a corps of today with the way they have evolved.  It was a non issue or seemed to be for this young lady.  Today I wonder if they would be given a chance.  The activity is so demanding physically with movement that it is athleticism at its finest.  I am sure since that time there have been others, but not as well documented.  I recall the snare drummer for Blue Devils most recent featured in Clash of the Corps.  At finals a several years ago, a video was shown of him during one of the intermissions and it discussed his scoliosis had how it affected him.  I think I read recently he is not marching this year.  I know that it is more accommodating on the high school and college level for members to participate with limitations.  Auburn University recently had a blind mellophone player.  He didn't march the halftime show, but did do pregame and stands with the help of another member.  I get that the differences are greater with what the corps are doing these days.  The competitive level is so high, I wonder if the corps especially the ones at the top would even consider this these young people these days.  And for that matter would DCI encourage it and make judging accommodations around it.

• Like 1

While I think it would be tougher for a higher-tier corps to take one of those types of members (not totally impossible; cf. BD's Brandon Olander), Open Class or lower-tier World Class corps may be more accommodating. I believe Pioneer had a deaf baritone player in its hornline a few years ago.

It really depends on the disability. Someone mentioned a hearing impaired baritone for Pioneer. I could see this accommodation, but if the person was either totally or legally blind it might be more problematic to be a marching member. I do recall seeing a young person with only one arm in the front ensemble of a corps, but I don't remember if it was a WC, OC, or DCA corps. Depending on the disability and how the corps uses the pit, a disabled person could possibly be in used the front ensemble. 

A former student of mine that qualifies as deaf played snare at Jersey Surf 5 years ago.

• Like 1

Hearing all of this is so enlightening. These remarkable young people would probably want to just fit in, but they should be celebrated.

1 hour ago, mingusmonk said:

A former student of mine that qualifies as deaf played snare at Jersey Surf 5 years ago.

This is not a disability - almost all snare drummers are deaf.

(EDIT: ...and have limited abilities.)

:lle:

Edited by garfield
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, mjyaub said:

Hearing all of this is so enlightening. These remarkable young people would probably want to just fit in, but they should be celebrated.

Perhaps, without embarrassing them or demeaning them in any way, a video could be made inspiring others who face similar life situations.