Pioneer 2017

Some of you people...  This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but geesh...

People complained that Pioneer would always be a bottom dweller in DCI because Pioneer always does Irish or Celtic shows and they're trapped in that identity...

So they do a non-Irishy show, and people are complaining of that.

Seriously?

At least they're trying to expand what they play...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

I'm sure the French and Irish have a jolly ol' merry connection. However, according to Pioneer, every year is just "Irish in your face." They've been playing this card for years and it hasn't gotten them anywhere. What's it going to be next year? "Irish in the Maya Empire?" 

3 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I'm sure the French and Irish have a jolly ol' merry connection. However, according to Pioneer, every year is just "Irish in your face." They've been playing this card for years and it hasn't gotten them anywhere. What's it going to be next year? "Irish in the Maya Empire?" 

No Irish need apply?  :tongue:

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

Please explain what the Irish have to do with Les mis?....please and thanks in advance...I think it's a valid question because I'm already scratching my head about this theme...of course I was scratching my head about BK last season as well...

I know I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here, but Les Mis has a strong sense of Catholicism as does much of Irish literature,  it I have no idea of how this could be translated into a drum corps show. Les Mis also has rebellion in it, and Irish history is filled with the little guy rebelling. Again, not sure how it could be applied to a drum corps show. 

That being said, Music City did a country music meets Andrew Lloyd Weber with their 2012 "Phantom of the Grand Old Opry" so it could work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Some of you people...  This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but geesh...

People complained that Pioneer would always be a bottom dweller in DCI because Pioneer always does Irish or Celtic shows and they're trapped in that identity...

Seriously?

I think people are taking it too literally. My take on it is that a corps that has often done Irish themed shows is simply taking a trip to Broadway, not that they will necessarily try to make Les Miz into something Irish. 

Edited by Brian Tuma
Grammar
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I think their two most recent shows say otherwise. "Exodus" and "Joan of Arc" were great examples of Pioneer stepping out of their comfort zone by portraying themes without an Irish tinge to them. (As a side note, "Joan of Arc" featured one of the best vocalists and one of the best uses of a vocalist I've ever experienced in the activity, so kudos to them.)

I said it a while back when they first announced this year's show, but I'll say it again: "Irish on Broadway" sounds like a step back into their comfort zone and I'm not sure they will find the same success that they did by taking risks the last two seasons. On a positive note, I think audiences will enjoy it no matter how well it does.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I think their two most recent shows say otherwise. "Exodus" and "Joan of Arc" were great examples of Pioneer stepping out of their comfort zone by portraying themes without an Irish tinge to them. (As a side note, "Joan of Arc" featured one of the best vocalists and one of the best uses of a vocalist I've ever experienced in the activity, so kudos to them.)

I said it a while back when they first announced this year's show, but I'll say it again: "Irish on Broadway" sounds like a step back into their comfort zone and I'm not sure they will find the same success that they did by taking risks the last two seasons. On a positive note, I think audiences will enjoy it no matter how well it does.

Perhaps just a poor show title...still time to change it...haha

3 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Seriously?

I'm not saying this is directed at me...I love les miz...I just am not on board with the show title...which sets the TONE...and I think Cadevilina Crown's post above says it best...

Edited by Liahona

At this point, it's pretty clear and expected where Pioneer is going to place every year. In addition, I think everyone realizes their role in the activity; to be a training organization for the next level of world class  (13th - 20th place). They had every opportunity to move up in the rankings and maintain a sizable corps; but they killed that chance with their '98 show. It was more than obvious they were trying to be an Irish version of the 27th Lancers that summer and it failed. They have never recovered from that summer and are where they are now because of it.

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

At this point, it's pretty clear and expected where Pioneer is going to place every year. In addition, I think everyone realizes their role in the activity; to be a training organization for the next level of world class  (13th - 20th place). They had every opportunity to move up in the rankings and maintain a sizable corps; but they killed that chance with their '98 show. It was more than obvious they were trying to be an Irish version of the 27th Lancers that summer and it failed. They have never recovered from that summer and are where they are now because of it.

Could you explain what it was about their '98 show that put them in this position? I was away from the activity for about 10 years and it was during that time, as I am sure there a fair amount of others who also don't know. I had always wondered why they stayed in last place after being so successful in the smaller class.