Pioneer 2017

3 hours ago, corps8294 said:

At this point, it's pretty clear and expected where Pioneer is going to place every year. In addition, I think everyone realizes their role in the activity; to be a training organization for the next level of world class  (13th - 20th place). They had every opportunity to move up in the rankings and maintain a sizable corps; but they killed that chance with their '98 show. It was more than obvious they were trying to be an Irish version of the 27th Lancers that summer and it failed. They have never recovered from that summer and are where they are now because of it.

I don't really think 1998 was the tipping point.  They were promoted to Division I in 1997 and were 19th place.  They moved UP to 18th in 1998 and then made Semi-Finals the next two years (17th in 1999 and 16th in 2000).  They dropped to 18th again in 2001 (although they received the highest score they'd had up to that point).  It was really 2002 that they dropped into the 20's and stayed there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PRphan72 said:

I don't really think 1998 was the tipping point.  They were promoted to Division I in 1997 and were 19th place.  They moved UP to 18th in 1998 and then made Semi-Finals the next two years (17th in 1999 and 16th in 2000).  They dropped to 18th again in 2001 (although they received the highest score they'd had up to that point).  It was really 2002 that they dropped into the 20's and stayed there.

They take good care of their members.  You can join them & learn to play brass or percussion or learn guard (like the old days, back when Drum Corps was a youth activity, not a resume enhancer for future HS band directors).  The members learn to work as a team.  

Pioneer does what they do very well.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I think people are taking it too literally. My take on it is that a corps that has often done Irish themed shows is simply taking a trip to Broadway, not that they will necessarily try to make Les Miz into something Irish. 

Although their announcement has been revised...the initial intention was not about "taking a trip to Broadway"...While the show TITLE has since changed...the thematic idea has not...

"The production is called, “Irish 24601.” It is based on the character Jean Valjean from the musical, “Les Miserables.” The rumor is that he was 50% Irish from his mother’s side. The title of our show 24601, was his prisoner number for 19 years."

8 hours ago, corps8294 said:

At this point, it's pretty clear and expected where Pioneer is going to place every year. In addition, I think everyone realizes their role in the activity; to be a training organization for the next level of world class  (13th - 20th place). They had every opportunity to move up in the rankings and maintain a sizable corps; but they killed that chance with their '98 show. It was more than obvious they were trying to be an Irish version of the 27th Lancers that summer and it failed. They have never recovered from that summer and are where they are now because of it.

It was actually the Oliver show in 2002 where they dropped competitively. After that, their scores and placements have been in the dump. I can not recall what happen, but before that they were poised to do really well. 

9 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

It was actually the Oliver show in 2002 where they dropped competitively. After that, their scores and placements have been in the dump. I can not recall what happen, but before that they were poised to do really well.

Ironically, the program coordinator for Pioneer in 2002 is back in the same position for the 2017 show.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Liahona said:

Although their announcement has been revised...the initial intention was not about "taking a trip to Broadway"...While the show TITLE has since changed...the thematic idea has not...

"The production is called, “Irish 24601.” It is based on the character Jean Valjean from the musical, “Les Miserables.” The rumor is that he was 50% Irish from his mother’s side. The title of our show 24601, was his prisoner number for 19 years."

You know, I totally forgot about that. Surprising since I thought it was such a grasp for some Irish connection at the time. 

The young adults in Pioneer are doing what every other young person in drum corps is doing, growing as human beings, pouring theirs hearts into provided an entertaining show and getting better every day.

That said...

IMO, they're competitive success is dependent upon the adults in charge and I'm not talking about the staff. They're doing a great job within the parameters they're given. Go to the Pioneer website and take a gander at their board of directors and draw your own conclusions.