Pioneer 2017

On 5/24/2017 at 5:32 PM, jjeffeory said:

Some of you people...  This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but geesh...

People complained that Pioneer would always be a bottom dweller in DCI because Pioneer always does Irish or Celtic shows and they're trapped in that identity...

So they do a non-Irishy show, and people are complaining of that.

Seriously?

At least they're trying to expand what they play...

It's not a non-Irish show when it says 'Irish on Broadway" in the title. Frankly, I agree with those who have said that. Pioneer needs a complete overhaul if they are ever going to move up the ranks - new uniforms, new themes, no Irish/Celtic and possibly even a new name. What the heck does Les Miz have to do with the Irish any way?

20 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

It's not a non-Irish show when it says 'Irish on Broadway" in the title. Frankly, I agree with those who have said that. Pioneer needs a complete overhaul if they are ever going to move up the ranks - new uniforms, new themes, no Irish/Celtic and possibly even a new name. What the heck does Les Miz have to do with the Irish any way?

Maybe it means Irish people go to Broadway and see Les Miserables?  That's not an Irish show.

Hence my "So they do a non-Irishy show, and people are complaining of that" and "At least they're trying to expand what they play..." comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe DCA would be a better place for Pioneer at this point. I get that the "Better Every Day" thing means more than just being a competitive drum corps; but this is just sad. If the members are having fun and are preparing themselves to join a corps outside of the top 12, that's cool. The activity has passed this corps by. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

Maybe DCA would be a better place for Pioneer at this point. I get that the "Better Every Day" thing means more than just being a competitive drum corps; but this is just sad. If the members are having fun and are preparing themselves to join a corps outside of the top 12, that's cool. The activity has passed this corps by. 

I can also see Pioneer having success in SoundSport. That's how the Racine Scouts, America's oldest continually operating drum corps, remain in the activity now that they no longer field a unit. I think it was 2 or 3 years ago that they had four members in their hornline and barely met DCI's minimum enrollment requirement.

A quick look at their website lists their mission and vision. While there are some mentions of the competitive side, it appears the focus is on positive behaviors, family atmosphere, traditions, etc....

Pioneer seems like a corps that cares more about the process than the final product. While this might not fit the mold of what we want to see as fans, they stay true to who they are and I really admire that.

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

I think we all know what Pioneer is really all about. 

Being the Pioneer thread, I'm sure most people here realize, but I wonder how many people outside this thread know that Pioneer DOMINATED Div. 2 (today's Open Class) not all that long ago (and Div. 3 before they moved up).  Think BDB and SCV Cadets of today.

While this activity is not all about the competition, Pioneer seemed to struggle competitively ever since the move to Div. 1 (now World Class).

Can anyone shed some light on why they struggled competitively with this transition to Div. 1/World Class?  I understand there are inherent challenges that need to be overcome with with such a move - I guess I'm looking for something more detailed.  I also understand the challenges with remaining true to your corps identity, but others have accomplished that and remained successful competitively (relatively speaking or not even).

Again, does anyone have any more detail about Pioneer's transition to Div. 1/World Class other than the above?

Edited by Quad Aces