Pioneer 2017

30 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

Being the Pioneer thread, I'm sure most people here realize, but I wonder how many people outside this thread know that Pioneer DOMINATED Div. 2 (today's Open Class) not all that long ago (and Div. 3 before they moved up).  Think BDB and SCV Cadets of today.

While this activity is not all about the competition, Pioneer seemed to struggle competitively ever since the move to Div. 1 (now World Class).

Can anyone shed some light on why they struggled competitively with this transition to Div. 1/World Class?  I understand there are inherent challenges that need to be overcome with with such a move - I guess I'm looking for something more detailed.  I also understand the challenges with remaining true to your corps identity, but others have accomplished that and remained successful competitively (relatively speaking or not even).

Again, does anyone have any more detail about Pioneer's transition to Div. 1/World Class other than the above?

Their transition to world class was very successful, resulting in two semifinal appearances. Remember, back then it was the top 17. 

4 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Their transition to world class was very successful, resulting in two semifinal appearances. Remember, back then it was the top 17. 

Ok, thanks for the response.  What happened to Pioneer competitively that is (again, there is more to this activity than competition) after that?

39 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I believe we all know what Pioneer is all about. 

Really? Would you like to tell me what my 5 years of marching Pioneer was all about. 5 of the best years of my life. 

Z

Pioneer

1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998

3 minutes ago, MikeZ said:

Really? Would you like to tell me what my 5 years of marching Pioneer was all about. 5 of the best years of my life. 

Z

Pioneer

1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998

I'm sure it was a wonderful positive experience Z. We all know what Pioneer is all about. 

5 hours ago, Poppycock said:

I'm sure it was a wonderful positive experience Z. We all know what Pioneer is all about. 

I first saw Pioneer in 1979 at CYO Nationals, no doubt they were announced as "The Pioneers" as happened back in the day. While I've seen Pioneer many times over the years, and enjoy the corps, and like to think I know a bit about drum corps especially history, I guess like MikeZ, I don't know what Pioneer "is all about" unless you mean a corps that has a membership that enjoys their experience, a reasonably good fan base, and a soft spot for Irish music.

59 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I first saw Pioneer in 1979 at CYO Nationals, no doubt they were announced as "The Pioneers" as happened back in the day. While I've seen Pioneer many times over the years, and enjoy the corps, and like to think I know a bit about drum corps especially history, I guess like MikeZ, I don't know what Pioneer "is all about" unless you mean a corps that has a membership that enjoys their experience, a reasonably good fan base, and a soft spot for Irish music.

Exactly 

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

When I marched we always called them "The Pioneers" when they were around just to irritate them.