Live Streaming 2017

11 hours ago, shofmon88 said:

A, um, friend of mine *cough* who happens to live in Australia would like to know if their service works over a VPN. Some services block shared IPs (like Netflix). If someone would be kind enough to test the service over a VPN set to the US, that would be great (the Opera browser has a free one built in...).

For my friend, you know...

Ummm. A friend of mine in the Uk apparently watched WGI on flomarching via a VPN 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

What Flo offers is a high performance platform and better options for streaming content. 

And that's what scares me about the collaboration. If the BBB complaints against Flomarching are any indication, their biggest fail has been in their platform and its apparent inability to handle streaming demands.

https://www.bbb.org/central-texas/business-reviews/internet-services/flosports-inc-in-austin-tx-1000108975/reviews-and-complaints?section=complaints

Thanks everyone for your responses and opinions. Something tells me that unless I pack a bag and hit the road I will not be seeing any corps this summer. Why would DCI hook-up with such a company?? Are they really that stupid or just greedy about their share of the $$ they will receive??:fight::doh:

21 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

Thanks everyone for your responses and opinions. Something tells me that unless I pack a bag and hit the road I will not be seeing any corps this summer. Why would DCI hook-up with such a company?? Are they really that stupid or just greedy about their share of the $$ they will receive??:fight::doh:

Greedy? Really? Sounds like a pretty inappropriate word to use in this case in my opinion. 

It's likely that this is the service that was cheapest for DCI to partner with. The alternative was DCI providing nothing. Remember, we're not talking about a multi-billionaire corporation here. It's a niche youth activity, they just want to keep afloat. 

WGI guard weekend they didn't seem prepared for the volume of people watching. WGI percussion weekend was far better.

and why is dci going there? Easy. $$$$$. Both cost, drag on the website and licensing 

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Greedy? Really? Sounds like a pretty inappropriate word to use in this case in my opinion. 

It's likely that this is the service that was cheapest for DCI to partner with. The alternative was DCI providing nothing. Remember, we're not talking about a multi-billionaire corporation here. It's a niche youth activity, they just want to keep afloat. 

Wait, am I missing something? DCI already had their own streaming service. Why not just use what they had?  I'm still going with the flow, but they've streamed for years and have a great team.

5 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Wait, am I missing something? DCI already had their own streaming service. Why not just use what they had?  I'm still going with the flow, but they've streamed for years and have a great team.

Are you referring to The Fan Network?

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Are you referring to The Fan Network?

And also DCI Live for the past few seasons after Fan Network was shut down

1 hour ago, Spandy said:

And also DCI Live for the past few seasons after Fan Network was shut down

I don't know the infrastructure behind the Fan Network but DCI Live wasn't necessarily DCI's own service, they were using the platform/service of a different company to provide the streaming and my guess is that FloMarching is offering DCI a better deal. 

22 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Nice to see you have not changed and still think  your opinion matters. You need to learn that what you think is inappropriate to you may not be to everyone else.  I am well aware of what goes on in DCI and don't need you of all people to explain anything to me. Have a great summer !!