Advice on a trumpet

jthomas666

My 11 yr old son is going to start on trumpet this fall, and we're looking for a relatively inexpensive horn . We've been looking at a used Bach TR-300. Is this a good choice for a beginner?

Hi and thanks for your question. I first have a few questions for you.

1. What is your budget range?

2. Are you able to determine how serious your son is about playing the horn.

3. How well does he take care of his things?

1. We'd like to keep it under $400 if possible. We've found a number of used Bachs in that price range.

2. Hard to tell, but this past year his music class played recorders, and he enjoyed it a lot and was good about practicing.

3. So-so--which is one of the reasons we're looking at used.

If my schedule allows, I'm going to try and take him to a DCI show later this summer.

thanks!

Your thinking is soundly based. I think you should go used too. There are better horns than the Bach 300 for equivalent $$. Right now the only trumpet I have is a brand new Jupiter. I can look for you or you can look. You have the time to find a decent horn though. Most important thing in a used beginner trumpet is  free moving tuning slides and good valves. I would recommend a Jupiter student or a Yamaha student

I'll let my wife know about the Jupiter and Yamaha--she's doing the looking, and will only buy a horn she's held in her hands--mainly because she ran across several horns where they were asking $250 and it turned out the tubing was so gunked up you couldn't blow through them.

Thanks again--I'll let you know what we end up with.

Also if you by chance decide on a new one the Jupiter trumpet I have is a JTR 700,  brand new. Sells on line for @ $1200. I ACQUIRED several of them and have 1 left....will sell for $699......just in case you can't find a decent used one.