Darkhorse 2017

8 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Depends on how high up the ladder you think a dark horse should rise to be given that label.  In terms of winning the Gold in World Class, I don't think there will be any dark horses.  I think it will be between Blue Devils and Bluecoats.  Crown and SCV will be fantastic, but I believe there will be a 1.5 separation or more between them at the top 2.  Phantom Regiment could be a dark horse in terms of rising back up into the top 5.  Madison could be if they can bounce back into the top 12 and perhaps move up to 8.  

Could be 2 spots could be 5. Scv to first,  Stars over PR and BK, Madison to 8th. I guess the best way to describe is 2 or more placements. 

Who do I want to be the sleeper movers?  SCV and Phantom.

Who do I think is most likely to make the biggest jump from last year's placement.  Cadets.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, MarchandPlay said:

Blue Stars... wow

Yes... no doubt about it, lots of hyped expectations being heard around the DCP water coolers this offseason for the Blue Stars. So for this reason alone I did not include them as a " darkhorse ". It shouldn't be a big surprise however for this potential placement movement upwards this summer as they have a terrific staff there ( especially Sully ), and have been on an upward placement trajectory of late too.

Edited by BRASSO

46 minutes ago, Liahona said:

VANGUARD 

SCV... they qualify as a " darkhorse" with my definition, as although some people have them doing well, perhaps medaling, not a lot of us DCP'ers have them listed to win it all this season. I'm not saying then that SCV is one of the favorites ( that was not the question posed to us ) I do see them qualifying to win it all as a " darkhorse " to possibly do so.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Blue Star do have a history of doing well in the early years of DCI, especially in 1972. Many of the dinosaurs from that era believe they should have won the very first DCI Championship instead of being the bridesmaid. 

SCV won the '72 DCI prelims by an astounding 2.7 points over Blue Stars & Kingsmen, but shockingly fell to 3rd at Championships the following nite. Thats how I remember that Championships anyway.

What are the chances that a Corps that wins the DCI prelims today by over 2 and a half points would finish 3rd the next nite at Finals ( without penalty assessments)  I'd say the chances would be just about zero.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

SCV won the '72 DCI prelims by an astounding 2.7 points over Blue Stars & Kingsmen, but shockingly fell to 3rd at Championships the following nite. Thats how I remember that Championships anyway.

What are the chances that a Corps that wins the prelims today by over 2 and a half points would finish 3rd at Finals ( without penalty assessments) today in DCI ? I'd say the chances would be just about zero.

It would require performance adjudication instead of linear scale numbers placement. 

• Like 1