Highschool Mellophone section

hdurham99

This will be my second year being a section leader in my school's mellophone section and the other day I was watching one of our videos and noticed how out of tune we are with eachother. Is there anything I can do to fix this or improve it? It will be my senior year and want this to be our best year. 

better view but older competition 

Are you using french horn mouthpieces with adapters? That's the first thing I ask when I hear serious issues. The answer is usually yes.

The added length from the adapter can make more of a difference than is realized.

The basic remedy is to go with a Bach 7C Mello mouthpiece, which will do a lot to remedy the issue. There could be other issues but this solved about 90 percent of the issue with a program I worked for. I'll try and cover the rest later. There are also some other more subtle issues that could be at play, that's for later.

Many directors nod their heads, then do nothing... and the Mellos are still painfully out, and then they wonder why the numbers don't increase or reach the top end of the rubrics in performance.

I'll watch the video when I have time. This is my bedtime. :satisfied:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigW said:

Are you using french horn mouthpieces with adapters? That's the first thing I ask when I hear serious issues. The answer is usually yes.

The added length from the adapter can make more of a difference than is realized.

The basic remedy is to go with a Bach 7C Mello mouthpiece, which will do a lot to remedy the issue. There could be other issues but this solved about 90 percent of the issue with a program I worked for. I'll try and cover the rest later. There are also some other more subtle issues that could be at play, that's for later.

Many directors nod their heads, then do nothing... and the Mellos are still painfully out, and then they wonder why the numbers don't increase or reach the top end of the rubrics in performance.

I'll watch the video when I have time. This is my bedtime. :satisfied:

I think we had one person use a french horn mouthpiece with adapter; however, we did have like 4-5 out of 12 (if I can remember use) trumpet mouthpieces). I am asking them to buy a proper mello mouthpiece and bought another one for me and am letting someone use my old one. Thank you so much for the reply!

There are other issues, but those apply to any instrument and sectional playing. I'd talk more but my work schedule's tough right now. From the quick glimpse of the video, someone is showing your team the right direction in terms of those kinds of things and everyone seems to be doing their best to apply them.

5 minutes ago, BigW said:

There are other issues, but those apply to any instrument and sectional playing. I'd talk more but my work schedule's tough right now. From the quick glimpse of the video, someone is showing your team the right direction in terms of those kinds of things and everyone seems to be doing their best to apply them.

I really appreciate you getting baack to me. Yeah our Band Director is a french horn player and worked with Memphis Sound.