Oil Can Security

With all the terrorism attacks happening at public venues, should this be a concern at LOS during Championships?

I wonder if the souvenir trucks and contents are screened. The backpacks and luggage brought into the stadium by those with pass credentials for example. The equipment cases, props and electronics being off loaded and brought into the stadium. How about the video equipment used during broadcasting?

I know there is very little equipment on site for detecting knifes, guns, explosives or gases. How about vehicles coming into the parking areas around the stadium or the box trucks that were parked on the streets right along side of the stadium where people are exiting? Were they screened? 

Is there security operators on site viewing video cameras within the stadium?

I'm not convinced that the levels of security the pass few seasons is appropriate for this type of event in this venue these days. Does DCI have a security disaster plan in place? Comments 

Security at LOS has come up before, and the overall consensus was security was higher st finals than prelims and semi's which is probably due to numbers. I arrive almost as soon as the doors open on Thursday and a Friday and my camera bag is opened, glanced toward, and I can move on. Saturday things are ramped up and the inspection is more thorough. That's the most screening I recall.

Regarding souvenir trucks: they don't enter the building and souvenirs are sold at booths, but my guess is the containers are not inspected, nor are the props and equipment of the corps.

i would not be surprised to see a clear bag policy in place this summer. I believe Atlanta did that last year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Security at LOS has come up before, and the overall consensus was security was higher st finals than prelims and semi's which is probably due to numbers. I arrive almost as soon as the doors open on Thursday and a Friday and my camera bag is opened, glanced toward, and I can move on. Saturday things are ramped up and the inspection is more thorough. That's the most screening I recall.

Regarding souvenir trucks: they don't enter the building and souvenirs are sold at booths, but my guess is the containers are not inspected, nor are the props and equipment of the corps.

i would not be surprised to see a clear bag policy in place this summer. I believe Atlanta did that last year.

Clear bag policy at the Alamodome this year. 

• Like 3

Compared to hundreds of other events going on around the country on those same days... 30,000 people at LOS is not that huge. 

Even in Indianapolis there will many thousands more at the race track and at the state fair. 

I'm thinking LOS will be as secure as most any other place in the USA.  I'd be more concerned with walking on a crowded street downtown. 

• Like 1

Didn't security get beefed up at LOS in the off-season?  I seem to recall a thread last fall discussing BOA participants having to go through intense screenings when entering the performance hallway.  Even instruments and props were screened by event security.  I assumed at the time this wasn't just for BOA but all events at LOS.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Clear bag policy at the Alamodome this year. 

As Terri noted, a clear bag policy. It's pretty strict on what you cannot bring in. Here's the link: http://www.alamodome.com/plan-your-visit/clear-bag-policy

Similar for DCI Minnesota: https://www.mygophersports.com/ArticleMedia/Files/UniversityofMinnesotaBagPolicy.pdf?SPSID=965779&SPID=166025&DB_OEM_ID=33500

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Compared to hundreds of other events going on around the country on those same days... 30,000 people at LOS is not that huge. 

Even in Indianapolis there will many thousands more at the race track and at the state fair. 

I'm thinking LOS will be as secure as most any other place in the USA.  I'd be more concerned with walking on a crowded street downtown. 

The stadium where Ariana Grande performed her Manchester concert in May holds approximately 21,000 people. It also had lots of young people. At finals, at a minimum there will be 1,800 young people associated with the corps, not to mention those in the stands. The yellow school buses are there for high school students. 

Terrorists don't care about numbers, they are concerned with impact. So DCI and LOS should be concerned.

• Like 2

It's no more risky than anywhere else.  Pretty much all large events (excluding Super Bowl, All Star Games, World Series, Finals, etc) held at stadiums use Security Theater to invoke a feeling of security.  Generally those metal detectors and short checks do nothing.  Security Theater even though it's very unsecure, it's secure.  Alot of people will back down really easily if they even have the smallest risk of not being able to follow through.  

• Like 3